Author Topic: Big & Wide addendum coming  (Read 3557 times)

fishon78

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Big & Wide addendum coming
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
Brian,

On the Kodiak king are you going to have a higher floor for self bailing purposes? Will that be a note for height above the stinger? The 5" higher side is great news. I am really pumped to see the addendum drawings. Thankyou for all your work on this.

Joe

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
What's this "state" stuff? :o :o

Up here, provincial regulations wrt towing can vary greatly, and federal law has no jurisdiction.
Alberta even allows you to tow a combination of two trailers, but don't try that west of the continental divide, :-X :-X :-\ unless it is a big commercial rig!! 
Also, BC has some of the strictest regulations wrt braking on trailers, and is something to be aware of, if you want to tow north across the border.

1400kg = 3086lbs,  2800kg = 6173lbs

People get caught with brakes on only one axle on a tandem trailer, and surge brakes on trailers over 6000 lbs. 

BTW, I'm very interested in the "big and wide" also - that extra 9" will add an incredible amount of "space" to the accommodations.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 07:23:13 AM »

Province?  Whut province?  LOL....  ;D
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 07:27:00 AM »
Brian,

On the Kodiak king are you going to have a higher floor for self bailing purposes? Will that be a note for height above the stinger? The 5" higher side is great news. I am really pumped to see the addendum drawings. Thankyou for all your work on this.

Joe

Thanks, Joe!  As for the deck, the plans continue to have you put them right on the stringers and as usual, I leave it up to the builder as to whether they want to raise the deck or not.  It's simple to do, regardless.  Layouts and accommodations vary quite a bit, so it doesn't do too much good to address the topic too much.  I do like a raised cockpit deck, aft end raised less than the forward end so at-dock drainage will hopefully be to the stern.  I also like adding a crown to the cockpit deck so that water drains port or starboard (then aft to the stern scuppers).

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »

That bump in the road between Alaska and Warshington, Idaho, Montana......
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:31:03 AM by Jim_Hbar »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »

That bump in the road between Alaska and Warshington, Idaho, Montana......

I've been up/down that road!  (Alcan Hwy).  Seems like there was a LOT more Canada than anything else from what I could see!

Brian

Alpine74

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
I would assume Jim is from British Columbia?  Since his provincial government regulation copy is from there.  Good to see as I'm in BC and it's nice to hear of another builder in the area. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
I would assume Jim is from British Columbia?  Since his provincial government regulation copy is from there.  Good to see as I'm in BC and it's nice to hear of another builder in the area.

Jim is in Alberta, guessing from his post above.  He bought plans and has been a member of our website since the bad ol' days when it was a Drupal Content Management System (CMS) website ... and he hung with us while that site got uber-hacked, taken offline, painfully rebuilt into what it is today (still not fantastic).

Hopefully he'll respond to you ... I don't keep addresses around unless you bought plans since the new website was put up.   Records from before that are gone gone gone... along with 4500 viruses that were in the old website after getting hacked.  HINT: Do NOT use a PHP based website!  And if you use a CMS .... keep it up to date!!

Brian

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2019, 06:28:01 PM »
Actually, I used to be in the North Okanagan area, and now living on a Gulf island.

Would occasionally see an Albertan heading through town on the #1 with two trailers - even saw one pulled over on the Coq. once - thus the comment.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
Actually, I used to be in the North Okanagan area, and now living on a Gulf island.

Would occasionally see an Albertan heading through town on the #1 with two trailers - even saw one pulled over on the Coq. once - thus the comment.

We had a nice vacation on the south end of the lake once... many moons ago :)

Brian

Alpine74

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
I hope to end up down by you in a couple of years Jim.  Or up the coast a little further... :)