Author Topic: Collision chamber question  (Read 1907 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Collision chamber question
« on: September 21, 2019, 01:43:09 PM »
I am fitting the collision chamber and am looking at page 10 of the manual. The three D drawing shows the chines coming up above the chamber in the front but the actual drawing shows them not appearing. With coming up 11 inches off the stringers mine will be like the cad drawing. Should I be raising the top of the chamber so chines are under the top?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:55:40 PM by Djeffrey »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Collision chamber question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 07:57:51 AM »

I should add a note to the photo of the collision chamber.  In the photo, the chamber was made taller than I specify.  If you use the 11" height given in the instructions, then indeed, the chines will pass through the top of the collision chamber as you show in your photo above.  Keep calm and carry on... :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 09:59:37 AM »
Thanks Brian, carrying on.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:57:15 AM »

I did actually go and add the explanation to the manual ... and in the new metric version manual too (hoping to get metric plans out within a month)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

davidnolan

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
I didn't build a GA but only built a Tolman Widebody 23 and a Jumbo 27.    That part of the book and plans annoyed me to no end and there didn't seem to be any really good reason to make a collision chamber both above and below the chine.   so I just put a vertical bulkhead and put the top glued right down onto the chine and it was super easy and strong too.         Then I poked a drain hole in the middle of the bulkhead at the lowest point which we keep closed with a simple cork, pulling it out once in a while to check for water.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
I didn't build a GA but only built a Tolman Widebody 23 and a Jumbo 27.    That part of the book and plans annoyed me to no end and there didn't seem to be any really good reason to make a collision chamber both above and below the chine.   so I just put a vertical bulkhead and put the top glued right down onto the chine and it was super easy and strong too.         Then I poked a drain hole in the middle of the bulkhead at the lowest point which we keep closed with a simple cork, pulling it out once in a while to check for water.

Well ... here's the end, if you want to bugged right up to it :D

It works like this .... first, you decide the correct height for a seat.  Then because you want to sit on your bunk with a reading light while you have a couple of shots of Yukon, you design your bunks to be at the correct seating height.  Then, because you want a queen-sized bed in the bow, you decide you want to utilize the space underneath the anchor well as part of the bed platform ... and since the bunk tops are also part of the bed platform, you make the top of the collision chamber the same height as the bunk tops.  On some boats, this will be all above, party above and below, or even only below the chines.  The chines, as noted above, are not part of the thinking and design process.

The bigger question is why have a collision chamber way up in the bow in the first place?  Collisions are farm more likely along the on-plane waterline ... from deadheads, wiers, and the like ... and this is 1/3rd of the way back from the bow, where a collision chamber would only get in the way.  The bunks and collision chamber are useful for only slow-speed damage ... dropping down onto a spiky rock as you are moving slowly and rising/dropping with the waves.  I'd say mostly, that the collision chamber provides more structural advantages than safety advantages.  Nice to have a horizontal and vertical bulkhead in the bow to stiffen up those forward bottom and side panels.

The end.

Brian