Author Topic: Anchor chain and rope  (Read 2280 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Anchor chain and rope
« on: October 05, 2019, 08:05:20 AM »
Looking for a little advice here.  I have decided to put a windless and an anchor locker on the front of the boat. I am a fair weather anchor person, choosing a calm cove on occasion to spend the night. For a 28 foot GA how much chain and rope would you want on board. I understand the whole 4:1, or 5:1 anchor standards, so I won’t be anchoring in 300 ft of water. Thoughts?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Anchor chain and rope
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
A great start would be a 16# Bruce style claw anchor and 20' of chain, then add to your anchor collection after that.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 06:45:04 AM »
Brian, 16 is good? I was thought I read 22? Less weight is good. Thanks

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
Brian, 16 is good? I was thought I read 22? Less weight is good. Thanks

It totally depends on the anchor style.  The Bruce anchors usually run about a step lower in weight compared to other anchors for similar performance.  Note that it works best on sand or muck or pea gravel etc .... if on a river or somewhere with hard-packed larger rocks (like potato sized or bigger), then a river claw anchor is better.  A Bruce anchor is designed to allow a full tidal circle without coming loose....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »
Brian,  Have you a recommendation for an anchor that handles bottoms covered with seaweed, kelp, etc.?   I've seen Danforth's so chocked up with weed that it wouldn't bury.

te
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
Brian,  Have you a recommendation for an anchor that handles bottoms covered with seaweed, kelp, etc.?   I've seen Danforth's so chocked up with weed that it wouldn't bury.

te

Not from personal experience.  That said, note that most seaweed grows on rocky bottoms ... sometimes smooth.  Makes sense that dragging along would gather the weeds.  I'd try one of the new, pointy and narrow, generation sharp anchors.  Use plenty of chain so the anchor will start right off at the right angle, then back hard and fast to make it slice through the junk and either anchor to a deep bed of weeds or the rock below ... hoping the point end of the anchor will grab a crack or space between rocks.  Personally, I hate kelp beds and stay away :)

Brian

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
I have both the 16# and the 22#. The 16# works  just fine for bay/cove anchoring.  I use 20 or 25ft of chain with 200ft of 1/2" rode.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
Thanks for the help guys