Author Topic: Window placement  (Read 1968 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Window placement
« on: December 04, 2019, 05:16:51 PM »
I was mocking up the front windows today and do not see anywhere in the plans where to scribe the lower windows to the curve of the cabin roof. Am I missing it or should I leave them square?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Window placement
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 06:40:22 PM »
Let me look into it...
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
Got it Brian. I was able to piece together my answer by looking at pics and other stuff on the forum. Thanks

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 06:59:25 AM »
Got it Brian. I was able to piece together my answer by looking at pics and other stuff on the forum. Thanks

How'd you end up doing it?  I just looked into the construction manual and drawings and I am not finding instructions for tracing the shape of the cuddy roof onto the (bottom of) the windshield pieces either.  Perhaps I judged that it really wasn't necessary at the time?  On average, the center windshield piece, resting on the roof, would have about a 3/8" gap on either outer corner above the cuddy roof.  This can easily be filled with epoxy when you fillet and glass the windshield pieces onto the cuddy roof.  On the other hand, if you want to mount the pieces and trace the cuddy roof shape onto them for a better fit, you can do that of course ... just do it BEFORE you trace the pilot house roof shape onto the top ends of the windshield pieces.  The pieces will drop 1/4" to 3/8" when you fit them to the cuddy roof, so you want to leave the excess wood on the top ends there until after the cuddy roof fitting.  Hope that's clear.

So I can use feedback here ... as a builder, does it seem that you'd prefer fitting the windshield panels to the cuddy roof?  I can add a couple of lines to the construction manual for that, maybe an illustration or two.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 07:37:41 AM »
I went ahead and just scribed them in. Good point that it must be done prier to marking the top. I raised my roof just a tad.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »

I like the 'fit' job much better than not fitting.  I'm going to add detail the construction manual for that ... Maybe over the Christmas holiday.  Thanks.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 09:26:15 AM »
Nice job fitting the windshield panels Djeffrey!  It was a couple tries for me.