Author Topic: Cooking in the wheel house  (Read 1112 times)

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
Cooking in the wheel house
« on: February 02, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »
When I started my build I decided I would use a alcohol stove.  Since then my take on access and egress and safety on board has changed.   With the loss of the 34 souls on the Conception(a very fine and well kept vessel in my opinion) I have decided no open flames allowed in the house.  Not knowing how much or where I will use the boat weighs on my mind as well.  My wife says she has no interest in being on the boat with me.   However I wouldn’t hate it if she would come along.  We use to do a lot of Kokanee fishing in the cold.  I do see an opportunity for the boat to grow on her with comfort in mind as I build. 
Anyway.....
 Wonder what you all think?
 1) stovetop heater combo
 2) stovetop and figure out how much you need heat later
 3) go big or go home.  Cooktop and stand alone heat.  Your worth it

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking in the wheel house
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 10:41:12 PM »
That’s an interesting idea.  Hadn’t considered such a thing even existed. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:49 AM »
Rbob ... Nice!  I didn't know about those RoadPro type 12 VDC cookers.   At Amazon, it looks like there are several brands ... probably the biggest consideration is picking the right-size aluminum pans to put inside.  I want one... :D

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 07:05:16 AM »
BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to cook with open flames in the house, just my 2-bits.  You also have non-ignition proof electronics or switches to worry about, open flames inside heaters/furnaces etc.  The best thing is to isolate your fuel tanks (including ventilation if required) so that gasoline fumes don't sneak around until they find an ignition source.  Use a diesel stove and diesel heater if you want the safest 'open flame' type appliances.  Some people don't like the smell of the exhaust with these, but it doesn't bother me ... it just reminds me of bygone days of fishing :D .  And if you want to go ALL the way when it comes to fumes and safety, also go with a diesel sterndrive instead of a powering option that requires gasoline.  Everything on the planet is dangerous ... that's why we have to use both our noodles and all 3 marbles when we figure stuff out... :D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:06:06 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 08:22:14 AM »
I look at it like this. I have a motorhome that has all the gas appliances of home, I have a gas fuel tank on board as well. The key is to be smart. No shortcuts or quick fixes. Boats today can have detectors and safety features that we never had before, use them.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »
I look at it like this. I have a motorhome that has all the gas appliances of home, I have a gas fuel tank on board as well. The key is to be smart. No shortcuts or quick fixes. Boats today can have detectors and safety features that we never had before, use them.

You're probably using propane in that rig, right?  That's the one thing I don't want in a boat .... propane settles into low areas where butane and natural gas float up and out.

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »
Propane puts a lot of moisture into the air if I'm not mistaken

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »
Rbob ... Nice!  I didn't know about those RoadPro type 12 VDC cookers.   At Amazon, it looks like there are several brands ... probably the biggest consideration is picking the right-size aluminum pans to put inside.  I want one... :D

I have cooked fresh shrimp in them, butter & garlic added, yum..   You can cook a roast, heat pizza, reheat fried chicken, you will smell it when it is done.  About 20-25 minutes for sandwiches.  I have heated Subway sandwiches,  I have heated up Hostess fruit pies, biscuits and gravy, literally anything that will fit in the pan.

Just put a tiny bit of water in the bottom of it.  The toolman puts raw cookie dough on the tins and has fresh baked cookies on the road!

Pans are $14 for 50.  If you look at the amazon (reviews on roadpro you will get tons of ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5D29KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 08:01:00 PM »
I see your point Brian. Every boat I have ever chartered has used propane. I have chartered blackcrowns, selens, and tugs of every kind. Many had propane detectors. Why do you think the industry uses propane? Thoughts? Also I believe butane is heavier then propane, I could be wrong, been a few years, it will settle like propane.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:20:55 PM by Djeffrey »

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 09:08:05 PM »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 04:59:06 AM »
I see your point Brian. Every boat I have ever chartered has used propane. I have chartered blackcrowns, selens, and tugs of every kind. Many had propane detectors. Why do you think the industry uses propane? Thoughts? Also I believe butane is heavier then propane, I could be wrong, been a few years, it will settle like propane.

You have to make sure you have good ventilation if you use propane.  As a cooking and heating fuel, it burns hot and clean, humidity issues minimal, no smell.  I like it a lot, but exercise caution in boats ... if you're a careful person, think through where propane will end up if a connection leaks somewhere and you design for it, then it's OK.  I knew someone that had a 'propane locker' in the cockpit for ventilation and just a single supply hose to his cabin heater ... one single accessible connection inside the house to keep an eye on.  That's the sort of approach that I like.

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 08:01:51 AM »
Thanks Brian. That was my idea. One connection inside the cabin with a cylinoid shut off at the bottle

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:16 PM »
Kenneee how well does it work while being used as a heater?

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »
Todd-I have not been in the boat in temps below 45 degrees. That said, in that kind of temp the boat is warm and cozy pretty fast. It is an elegant solution for cooking and heat. It is not as fast as as propane for cooking but works fine. It sips very little fuel and is a closed system so odors are minimal. It is one of my favorite pieces of gear on Rosie.