Author Topic: Hit a Log  (Read 311 times)

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Hit a Log
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to post this or not....

Ok, its been some time since I've posted anything, not that I posted very much while we were building our boat. Anyway, last September my wife and I were headed out for some salmon fishing here on the Puget sound. We usually leave the dock at 4-4:30 am, we want to be on the grounds before light. We have a couple lights on the bow each one is over 1500 lumens, they work quite well but I guess not quite as well as we would have liked. We were going at a slow-ish speed (18mph) and from no where we hit a log. I'm guessing the log was near 25ft long and submerged in the center. The ends of the log were only slightly visible but enough to keep it afloat. We hit it on the bottom just aft the drivers seat on the keel it roll along the hull and then hit the engine, enough to lift it and drop it back down hard. We figured we were F'd! We raised the motor (250hp Yamaha)expecting to see the motor ripped up, but no nothing at all... We pulled the hatches and looked for leaks... nothing. However, we noticed the boxes and the was wash well were cracked away from the transom from the motor coming raising and coming back down hard. We got back in and put the boat on the trailer, climbed under the boat and found nothing. We know we hit pretty hard, but found no damage not even a dent. There was some discolored bottom paint that was slightly scuffed and a few splinters in the motors water intake vent. We inspected at all the main structure knees, stringers, secondary stringers etc. no cracking no damage.

The cracked boxes and wash well were easy enough to fix and clean up and repaint. Just wanted to say this boat is a TANK. We are still in disbelief about the minimum amount of damage. Not sure how we would have faired in a glass or an aluminum boat....

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a Log
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:08:12 PM »
Glad it was an easy fix.  Did you get any pics of the damage?

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
Never did take pics just wanted to get it fixed ASAP...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »
Glad to hear all turned out well.  Hmmm ... Must've been a pretty hard hit to cause the splash well joinery to crack.  At least it's accessible and not hard to fix.  This is why I recommend a thick wide fillet with milled glass in the epoxy mix around the perimeter of the transom.  I cracked a side-to-transom fillet once, but not from anything as exciting as a deadhead in the dark ... I made a last-minute dodge into a McDonalds on my way to fishing and rolled a trailer wheel over about a 9" curb at velocity ... the motor kicked up hard and landed hard.  Was easy to fix though .... grind glass off, wick epoxy into the crack, re-glass the fillet.  THAT fillet mix had no glass fiber in it ... it wouldn't have cracked if it did.

So far, 2 Great Alaskans, that I know of, have survived a hard hit:

- Deadhead at night (that's your boat)

- A hurricane, including a tree that fell on the (docked) boat

In both cases, damage was minimal and quickly fixed.  These boats ARE a tank (on purpose).

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
That must have been a little spooky.   Bet it was loud.  Good to know she survived the collision without major repairs needed

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
Loud, scary and yes a hard hit!! I guess the point of writing about our little mishap (kinda embarrassed about it too) was the down right toughness of this boat.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 05:09:32 AM »
Loud, scary and yes a hard hit!! I guess the point of writing about our little mishap (kinda embarrassed about it too) was the down right toughness of this boat.

"A good boat is one that gets you home long after you wish you were home" ... :D
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>