Author Topic: Under deck conduits  (Read 70 times)

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
Under deck conduits
« on: March 22, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »
It seems like theres a bunch of us pretty close together as far as whats going on in the shop.  Im wondering now about running conduits under floors below my decks.  I just dont know how many, what size, from where to where?   Ive had boats before, but nothing like this.  Shoot, some of you are building the GA cause your big boat boat wasnt big enough!
  Pics if any would be handy.  FWIW this is a list I want to plan for. 
  Other than what is required for safety and comfort I would like eventually to be equipped with
  Anchor winch on bow
  Davit, electric downriggers and reels
  Wash down pump/s
   Bilge pumps, shower sump pump
   Water pump
    Forced ventilation in fuel compartment
   Radar, vhf, big lowrance, 7-9 in cockpit
   Dual helms
   Cabin and deck lighting
In a perfect world I could run conduits everywhere and ther would be one close enough I guess

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Under deck conduits
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »
Use big conduit with spare room and leave a line in it for pulling wiring through later on when you add more stuff...
><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Djeffrey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:23:47 AM »
I ran two 2 1/2

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 06:41:08 AM »
Thanks.  Im not sure when enough is enough.  I have read that fish finder transducer wires should not share conduit with other wires. Any truth?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »
Thanks.  Im not sure when enough is enough.  I have read that fish finder transducer wires should not share conduit with other wires. Any truth?

In general, "signal" wires in boats are digital and as such, can interfere with neighboring signal wires.  THAT said, the shielding provided on these wires are good enough to allow signal wires to run in the same channel with each other and were designed for that.  If you have older unshielded or twisted-pair wiring, then THOSE should be kept apart, and if they must cross, they should cross each other at 90-degree angles to prevent cross-talk.  With today's electronics and wiring, the rule is ... pretty much do whatever you want and it'll work.  It doesn't hurt to design for separation, but should be no problem if you don't.  Wiring to consider are busses for computers (regardless of device types) and motor control.
><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>