Author Topic: Fish box drain  (Read 241 times)

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fish box drain
« on: May 06, 2020, 07:55:31 PM »
I have this notion of building a fish box with a removable tote inside.  It would fit between the stringers and have a couple of handles on it so you could grab it instead of transferring fish one at a time to another container just to unload my catch.  I think it will reduce the crud factor inside the boat and make cleanup a breeze. 
   I think it would groovy to have a straight shot right out of the boat when rinsing after the fish box tote is removed.   A separate drain so shmegma doesn稚 wind up in the bilge ie blood, guts, crab parts, scallops shells.  Stuff that痴 not bilge pump able.  A pipe with a sea cock and through hull type arrangement. 
   Any body do this or see anything like I知 describing?   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:56:38 PM by Todd j »

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fish box drain
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:37:40 PM »
My head is hurting thinking about that!

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:49:31 PM »
Which part in particular?   I didnt say it would be smart!  A better solution might be to fiberglass a drain tube just short of the transom plug.  Just looking for ease of cleaning.  My friends boat fish box drain is always plugging.  It always has a fishy smell
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:30:51 AM by Todd j »

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:00:19 AM »
The biggest drain tube that will fit, 2" should not hold anything back or clog.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 07:06:52 AM »

I've seen that done before, a glass tube from the fish box through the bilge and out through the transom ... right along the bottom of the 'V' in the boat.  You need a good way to plug it ... size the tube to match standard pipe plugs that you can get at Home Depot... replace the through-bolt with stainless hardware, and if you're worried, plug both ends of the tube (inside the fishbox, outside on the transom). 

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((コ> ク.キエッ`キ.クク><((((コ> ク.キエッ`キ.クク><((((コ> ク.キエッ`キ.クク><((((コ>

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
Thx, when I知 not working on the boat I知 thinking about working on the boat!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »
Thx, when I知 not working on the boat I知 thinking about working on the boat!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o 8)
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((コ> ク.キエッ`キ.クク><((((コ> ク.キエッ`キ.クク><((((コ> ク.キエッ`キ.クク><((((コ>

Grady300

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »

I've seen that done before, a glass tube from the fish box through the bilge and out through the transom ... right along the bottom of the 'V' in the boat.  You need a good way to plug it ... size the tube to match standard pipe plugs that you can get at Home Depot... replace the through-bolt with stainless hardware, and if you're worried, plug both ends of the tube (inside the fishbox, outside on the transom). 

bd
that is exactly what I did in my Tolman WideBody. Rear of in-floor fish box Fish box is 30" forward of the transom. Just used a standard transome plug inside the fish box and ran a tube to back of transom, works great!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next