Author Topic: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.  (Read 66028 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »
Maybe paint the inside of the roof before it goes on, then you'd just have to touch up the perimeter ... use PL Cement, narrow bead down the middle of each piece, on those fancy wood supports and just glass/epoxy the perimeter joints.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2021, 07:26:51 PM »
Maybe paint the inside of the roof before it goes on, then you'd just have to touch up the perimeter ... use PL Cement, narrow bead down the middle of each piece, on those fancy wood supports and just glass/epoxy the perimeter joints.
I was thinking about that but didnt know if epoxy on paint would hold good enough? Could sand off the paint or thought I might mask off the perimeter the underside before painting. All I have is primer I have not selected my colors yet. I'm thinking all off white now! who wants to stand out these days, I'd rather blend in with all the other white boats :)
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2021, 07:48:21 PM »

Sure is pretty wood. I am thinking of doing a little Mahogany ascent trims in the wheelhouse. It more work and upkeep but i like the look. We will see

Something like this ?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »

Sure is pretty wood. I am thinking of doing a little Mahogany ascent trims in the wheelhouse. It more work and upkeep but i like the look. We will see

Something like this ?
Yes Absolutely Gorgeous!! But that's more than just a little more work :) SUPER NICE!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2021, 11:13:02 AM »

The cuddy roof is not structural for the boat ... main thing is you'd like it strong enough to stand on.  Epoxy on top of paint works fine for that - just rough it up first.  Or as you mentioned, mask off the epoxy zones and paint after you're done.  Maybe it's just as much work as just painting it after installing?  Dunno ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2021, 11:11:07 PM »

The cuddy roof is not structural for the boat ... main thing is you'd like it strong enough to stand on.  Epoxy on top of paint works fine for that - just rough it up first.  Or as you mentioned, mask off the epoxy zones and paint after you're done.  Maybe it's just as much work as just painting it after installing?  Dunno ...
My first thought was to paint it all white. I only used mahogany because of its resistance to moisture. Its just so pretty to cover up with paint but much easier!!! This Kodiak has been a big boat build!!! We will see how it ends up :)
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2021, 05:57:32 AM »
My first thought was to paint it all white. I only used mahogany because of its resistance to moisture. Its just so pretty to cover up with paint but much easier!!! This Kodiak has been a big boat build!!! We will see how it ends up :)

Yeah ... maybe go all white/light inside the cuddy and save the fancy wood trim work for inside the house?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2021, 10:56:09 AM »
Upkeep on inside wood is minimal compared to outside wood. A few coats at nice spar varnish will outlast you. I love the wood highlights in a wood boat

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2021, 12:43:40 AM »
Been dry fitting some of the wheelhouse items while pre-glassing other parts. It always helps me to mock stuff up before going too far.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2021, 06:40:24 PM »
Looking really good! Nicely done, sir, and very helpful as I’m looking ahead. Thanks for posting the photos.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
Looking really good! Nicely done, sir, and very helpful as I’m looking ahead. Thanks for posting the photos.
Thanks Randy, First light coat of primer in the cuddy.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2021, 09:28:11 AM »

Looks good! Are you going to spool-up your anchor rode on top of the bow, or will part of the space visible to the cuddy carry a bin for anchor rode coming in from a windlass?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2021, 08:34:14 AM »

Looks good! Are you going to spool-up your anchor rode on top of the bow, or will part of the space visible to the cuddy carry a bin for anchor rode coming in from a windlass?
I'll be using a windlass, the rode will fall into the center compartment it will have a latched door on it for access when needed. I sloped the floor towards the bow a bit to a through hull attached to a hose that drains into the bilge.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2021, 10:56:16 AM »
Progress photos, I'm building a bit out of order from the directions just to keeping things moving. Cuddy is completely primed now as well as the inside of the cuddy roof. Will pint both in the next week so when the cuddy roof goes on the cuddy will be mostly finished.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »
Cockpit storage/bench seats almost done. The radius corners are from cutting up a 6" fiberglass tube leftover from one my thruster tunnels. Both compartment soles are down on top of the chine. I did installed a false sole right on top of the chine that ran to the main stringers over the bilge area, doing this gave me a lot more height for storage.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021