Author Topic: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.  (Read 66041 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.
« Reply #450 on: March 20, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »

If all goes well, then tomorrow, he runs to Mazatlan ahead of coming weather, then will stay until conditions permit ... then the last leg to Puerto Vallarta.  He should be there in 2 or 3 days... faster than he predicted by a day or two.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 23, 2023, 06:38:48 AM »
Chuck is now in Mazatlan ... leaving for Puerto Vallarta in about an hour ... he's 1173 miles into the trip and going well!  More when I get more ... Destination: Puerto Vallarta (lower-right in pic).
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #452 on: March 23, 2023, 08:54:24 AM »
This is great advertising for your design Brian! 8) 8) 8)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 23, 2023, 03:38:55 PM »
... And DONE!!  Congratulations to Chuck Mazzola on completing his ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY mile trip into Mexico on his big Great Alaskan Kodiak!  Easy schmeeezy... 😁😁😁  That's a LOT of wide open ocean exposure!

Made the trip in NINE days ... ahead of schedule!

PS: Love those Garmin maps and tracking!

PPS: Now ... Who's up to bat for going from Seattle to Kodiak, across the Gulf of Alaska?  Hmmm?  Who?  Dan? Team Lindy?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 03:45:16 PM by Brian.Dixon »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #454 on: March 23, 2023, 04:41:35 PM »
This is really pretty incredible. Chuck is the man. The weather down here has been pretty ripper, although it's probably just another day on the water for all you northerners. 1300+ miles of it sounds really daunting, I can't even imagine. :) Pretty freaking cool.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 23, 2023, 05:25:10 PM »
This is really pretty incredible. Chuck is the man. The weather down here has been pretty ripper, although it's probably just another day on the water for all you northerners. 1300+ miles of it sounds really daunting, I can't even imagine. :) Pretty freaking cool.

Exactly what I told him when he arrived ... You da MAN!!

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #456 on: March 23, 2023, 08:21:18 PM »
Way to go Chuck big water, big trip! Team Lindy is hoping for Latuya Bay this summer, Dan may cross the gulf, and Djeffery is heading north this summer. These boats are getting around!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 25, 2023, 09:02:49 AM »
Congrats, gives me even more confidence to make my trip north. Going to be a fun summer for glacier boats of Alaska owners.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 26, 2023, 08:06:20 AM »

I think Chuck busted some serious records ... Does anyone know of another home-built boat builder or design that has performed a bigger trip than Chuck's nearly-1400 mile, all open ocean exposure, trip??  It's the longest and most-exposed trip that I've heard about ... makes those racing across the Dixon Entrance (SE Alaska) look like weenies in comparison ...

bd

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: March 26, 2023, 01:07:24 PM »
Agree,
Having sailed bot across Dixon entrance and the West Coast of California, Dixon entrance usually is a pond compared to the California Coast. For those heading North, remember to keep your eye on Queen Chartlet sound also. Wind and waves can woop up there big time.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #460 on: March 27, 2023, 08:36:41 PM »
Brian a friend on Maui talks of her old boyfriend in the 70s who built a stitch-n-glue tri-hull and circumnavigated it - built the whole thing himself from scratch in 2-3 years. There are a lot of stories of home-built boats that have done big voyages, including the epic Homer to Iliamna to False Pass and back to Homer trip in a Tolman Widebody a couple decades ago - and THAT stretch of water north and east of Kodiak is a serious navigational challenge!! That does nothing to diminish what the GA is capable of, nor of how great these builds are, nor Chuck's recent awesome voyage....just a nod to the salty and motivated centuries of sailors before us.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 28, 2023, 07:07:48 AM »
Brian a friend on Maui talks of her old boyfriend in the 70s who built a stitch-n-glue tri-hull and circumnavigated it - built the whole thing himself from scratch in 2-3 years. There are a lot of stories of home-built boats that have done big voyages, including the epic Homer to Iliamna to False Pass and back to Homer trip in a Tolman Widebody a couple decades ago - and THAT stretch of water north and east of Kodiak is a serious navigational challenge!! That does nothing to diminish what the GA is capable of, nor of how great these builds are, nor Chuck's recent awesome voyage....just a nod to the salty and motivated centuries of sailors before us.

Pretty amazing stuff ... :)

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #462 on: April 07, 2023, 08:43:11 AM »
I’m having secret fantasies of doing the Northwest Passage in mine. ;)
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 07, 2023, 10:42:27 AM »

Go fast and bring a coat!

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #464 on: April 09, 2023, 09:34:31 PM »

… and lots of gas!
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com