Author Topic: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.  (Read 1441 times)

Grady300

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 02:10:16 PM »
Glassed the bottom of both the sheer shelves and got the starboard side all glued on as well as the fillet under the shelf to side fillet. It took 4 1/4 full sheets of ply for the sides. The port sides will be glued on tomorrow then I'll start taping all the outside seams, chine to sides, sides to transom. Hard to see but approximately 8 1/2 feet forward of the stern my sides extend past the sheer shelves 4" creating a Bulwark   
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 02:12:19 PM »
Interesting approach to the bulwark. I have just started thinking about how I am going to do mine, playing around with some scraps of 1/2" to see if I can bend them that sharp. Either way, looking good! That thing is going to be a beast!

Grady300

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »
Interesting approach to the bulwark. I have just started thinking about how I am going to do mine, playing around with some scraps of 1/2" to see if I can bend them that sharp. Either way, looking good! That thing is going to be a beast!
Because the Kodiak sides are taller than the standard GA sides the only way to get the extra 4" height for the bulwark was to scarf the front 2 side panels up at an angle as shown in the attached. Otherwise I would have to scarf 2- 4x8 sheets together then scarf or rabbit on another 4"+ the full 16 foot length to make a 52" wide panels.   
www.wcboatworks.com
28' GA Might Be Next

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
Oh right, I forgot how close those sides where to the shelves when I cut them (it's been a minute)... Clever solution, definitely better than scarfing 16' to get another 4"...

Grady300

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2020, 03:19:11 PM »
Oh right, I forgot how close those sides where to the shelves when I cut them (it's been a minute)... Clever solution, definitely better than scarfing 16' to get another 4"...
I stapled on 4x8 cardboard cover sheets on the entire side. Then I marked the inside cine, bow and shelf locations to figure it all out and make templates. 
www.wcboatworks.com
28' GA Might Be Next

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2020, 03:50:29 PM »

Wow ... nice job on the bulwark concept!  Looks awesome too!  Can't wait to go fishin' in that beast!  :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Grady300

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
Got the port front side on today as well as the 33 feet of peanut butter chine to side fill all done. Also started working on fairing the bottom to sides at the bow. Shouldn't take to much it actually came out pretty good!! Coming in to Saturday to sand all the PB and a little more work on the bow area. gona try to get the 30oz of cloth on the chine/side joints also. Still shooting for an October flip.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 03:27:04 PM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
28' GA Might Be Next

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »

Tadaaa... it is now a BOAT!  Fantastic progress!

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>