Author Topic: Noodles or no  (Read 236 times)

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
Noodles or no
« on: June 10, 2020, 11:07:56 PM »
Not sure Ive seen a GA under deck stuffed with flotation.  Seen a few tolmans stuffed with pool noodles.   Im wondering if its worth it or not?   Im thinking it wouldnt hurt anything, but  not sure about how much it would actually help.  I have one at home.  I intend to measure it and do some calculations and see how much flotation it would add.  Anyone do this lately?   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Noodles or no
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 07:00:48 AM »

Because they're round and have a hole down the middle, pool noodles aren't the most efficient way to add flotation under the deck.  But the ARE polyethylene closed-cell foam, so they're bullet proof when it comes to absorbing water, and oil/gas doesn't break them down either.

Under-deck flotation isn't for when you get capsized though ... flotation under the sheer decks is better for that if it actually happens to help the boat stay or turn upright after such an event.  At least there's a chance that you could bail and get going again.  Usually no.

Under-deck flotation is best for keeping you going after getting holed, e.g. running into a buoy, pier, jagged rock, deadhead, or whatever.   It limits how much flooding you get under the decks, hopefully enough for you to be able to get on plane and get home again.  This is also why good sealing deck plates and plugged drain holes on under-deck bulkheads while under way make good sense .... sealed compartments.  Open the drains for ventilation in-between boating trips.

If you want under-deck flotation, I highly recommend cut-to-fit blocks of closed-cell polyethylene.  NO OTHER PLASTIC will do ... NO polyurethane, NO polystyrene, NO 2-part or 1-part liquid foaming "flotation foam", etc ... it'll ALL rot.  Only polyETHYLENE does not.  Put strips on the hull so water can drain out from under the blocks of foam, then cut the foam to fit and fill as completely as you can.  Use noodles if you want - definitely not the worst option out there and they're cheap.  But look around for a local (or online?) foam shop that has or can get closed-cell polyethylene.  It's usually blue, sometimes pink, usually comes in 4x8 sheets.  PL Cement or Liquid Nails or other waterproof adhesive/caulk works fine for gluing layers together.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Sprig1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:33:27 PM »
Hi I haven't posted much. Everyone here has put the bar pretty high on building their boats. I've read most everyone's build thread. Now just to retain some of that knowledge.
    My question is where would you put the flotation on the sheer shelves forward or aft and how much? Thanks for having such a great forum.

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
Wow.  That stuff is expensive!!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 05:46:31 AM »
Hi I haven't posted much. Everyone here has put the bar pretty high on building their boats. I've read most everyone's build thread. Now just to retain some of that knowledge.
    My question is where would you put the flotation on the sheer shelves forward or aft and how much? Thanks for having such a great forum.

Tough question to answer since it's difficult to find room for the flotation.  Under the sheer decks is best though.  The boat is wood .. it'll float one way or another even if capsized, but the motor is heavy.  If it weren't in the way of all that goes to/from the motor, a minimalist flotation solution would be flotation added only under the stern sheer decks or perhaps in flotation chambers under the dry well.  Because of the space limitations, most do not add flotation except for the under-deck flotation that'll help if you get holed ... not a bad solution.  Own a mustang suit and a good automatic EPIRB?  :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Grady300

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
I used pool noodles anywhere I could stuff them under the deck in my Widebody. Mainly because they did save a lot of $$. I also stuffed a few between the Moeller fuel tank and the stringers just to fill the void. I'll use them again but will try to get some of the block material up under the sheer as Brian suggest.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 07:23:59 AM »
I used pool noodles anywhere I could stuff them under the deck in my Widebody. Mainly because they did save a lot of $$. I also stuffed a few between the Moeller fuel tank and the stringers just to fill the void. I'll use them again but will try to get some of the block material up under the sheer as Brian suggest.

You can pack pool noodles even tighter if you split them the long way down their middles... Just a thought.

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 11:09:28 PM »
We filled the entire under deck with noodles, especially under the cabin area. We were thinking about floatation but noise reduction in the cabin was the ultimate result. Under way we can have a casual conversation without raising voices. As far as floatation, like Brian says "wood floats". In reality, if you put yourself in a situation where rolling your boat is an issue, synch then knots up on you cleats at the dock.

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 09:35:08 PM »
I bought 131 noodles at the dollar store.  They are the cheapy smallish ones.  By my calcs it takes 2 1/2 of them to equal 231 cubic inches( they are hollow).   That should displace roughly 420 pounds of water.  I think it will likely take more than what I bought to fill the under deck space.  We will see