Author Topic: Another Oregon builder (hopefully)  (Read 38 times)

rhenryinoregon

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Another Oregon builder (hopefully)
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
Hello, all

I live in Silverton Oregon, just out of Salem a ways. I currently have a 20' Thunderjet outboard I take out in the ocean, but as I near retirement, I want something that my wife and I can really have some ocean and inside passage adventures in. I visited with Chuck in Bend to see his set-up (very sweet, thank you, Chuck) and consider the kit option. I'm now clearing shop space and hope to begin a GA build this fall. I'm planning two years for the build and am super excited about the possibilities. I look forward to spending time on this board learning more about how to do this correctly so I can be proud of the results and comfortable with the capabilities. I guess if you can't bet your life on the boat you're building, you probably shouldn't build it.

Randy H - rhenryinoregon

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Another Oregon builder (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »

Randy ... Welcome aboard!  You'll find lots of useful info here and you should ask all the questions you want.  Share pix of course!

Brian

PS: I used to go up to Silver Creek a lot when I lived in the Salem area ... many moons ago.  Grew up farming Lake Labish onions north of Salem... always did like Silverton :)

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

rhenryinoregon

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
I know the area well! Im in Newport for the ne t week and see there are a few GAs at the Marina. I hope I can see them and talk to the owners. Im impressed that your so personally involved in the comment boards and all. Great design! Thanks.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 07:32:25 AM »
I know the area well! Im in Newport for the next week and see there are a few GAs at the Marina. I hope I can see them and talk to the owners. Im impressed that you're so personally involved in the comment boards and all. Great design! Thanks.

Yeah ... those Great Alaskans ... they're becoming some kind of an infestation in the PNW and Alaska!  Just sold plans to a new builder in Russia, and another in Singapore ... they're truly getting around!

I like everything about boats, especially boats like the Great Alaskan, and that's the main reason for the existence of the Great Alaskan and my involvement.  Continued plans sales appear to keep covering operating costs, so I expect I'll be around a good long while.

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>