Author Topic: Another Oregon builder (hopefully)  (Read 4043 times)

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Another Oregon builder (hopefully)
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
Hello, all

I live in Silverton Oregon, just out of Salem a ways. I currently have a 20' Thunderjet outboard I take out in the ocean, but as I near retirement, I want something that my wife and I can really have some ocean and inside passage adventures in. I visited with Chuck in Bend to see his set-up (very sweet, thank you, Chuck) and consider the kit option. I'm now clearing shop space and hope to begin a GA build this fall. I'm planning two years for the build and am super excited about the possibilities. I look forward to spending time on this board learning more about how to do this correctly so I can be proud of the results and comfortable with the capabilities. I guess if you can't bet your life on the boat you're building, you probably shouldn't build it.

Randy H - rhenryinoregon
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Another Oregon builder (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »

Randy ... Welcome aboard!  You'll find lots of useful info here and you should ask all the questions you want.  Share pix of course!

Brian

PS: I used to go up to Silver Creek a lot when I lived in the Salem area ... many moons ago.  Grew up farming Lake Labish onions north of Salem... always did like Silverton :)

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
I know the area well! I’m in Newport for the ne t week and see there are a few GAs at the Marina. I hope I can see them and talk to the owners. I’m impressed that your so personally involved in the comment boards and all. Great design! Thanks.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 07:32:25 AM »
I know the area well! I’m in Newport for the next week and see there are a few GAs at the Marina. I hope I can see them and talk to the owners. I’m impressed that you're so personally involved in the comment boards and all. Great design! Thanks.

Yeah ... those Great Alaskans ... they're becoming some kind of an infestation in the PNW and Alaska!  Just sold plans to a new builder in Russia, and another in Singapore ... they're truly getting around!

I like everything about boats, especially boats like the Great Alaskan, and that's the main reason for the existence of the Great Alaskan and my involvement.  Continued plans sales appear to keep covering operating costs, so I expect I'll be around a good long while.

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 01:56:39 PM »
I have been reading the construction manual and most of it is making sense. I’ve made a list of tools and supplies and have started making plans to begin the build. I have definitely (probably) settled on a 28’ GA with a 200 hp Suzuki and 15 hp kicker. I’ll transfer the Garmin radar to this boat from my Thunderjet and make the tjet my inland boat. I’ll probably go to the 12” multifunction on the GA. I’ve even named it already. I’m cleaning out a 12’x 48’ space in my shop which means I’ll need the platform on wheels and I’ll have to wire in some more LED lights and outlets - probably do that this weekend. I will be watching every penny but I will not compromise the build, hence reviewing craigslist for those parts and pieces that save money but don’t risk longevity or functionality (like another 1 ton chain hoist to help flip the hull).  My goal is a two year build, a few months of testing, Then retire and do the inside passage to Alaska. I have my USCG license and continue to brush up my captaining skills. I’ll start my build thread in the next month. I love nearly everything about Mr Dixon’s build in Colorado and will refer heavily to his thread. I’m considering the outback mount (swim step) like he did but still have some questions about how to implement that. I completely rewired my Thunderjet this last winter and have a good grasp on what that entails, but really appreciate the FAQs on wiring (I’ll hide USB ports everywhere). Building a boat like this is a lifelong dream. At age six I fantasized about building a big boat someday!  I want to do it right, efficiently and with expediency. Looking forward to it and love the resources on this website. It’s going to be a fun couple of years!
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 07:57:41 AM »

That's great, Randy ... You're getting very dialed in and that's very positive.  I know that your build process and the boat are going to be fantastic ... Keep that SE Alaska trip as your carrot on a stick and keep at it.  The SE Alaska trip is very much worth your effort, and how better to do it than camping in a big 28-foot Great Alaskan?  There are more 28-foot Great Alaskans than any other size ... for good reason.  It's really an ideal boat.

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
Welcome aboard Randy,

Looking forward to your build, lots of great people to give advise and share experiences.

Bob

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:22:20 AM »
I’m coming up with lots of random questions. Like: since I’m looking to assemble some equipment as I go to save money, stove tops. Alcohol or LPG? I don’t think I’ll start with diesel unless I find a deal, though the heat option would be nice. I’ve read the ins and outs of both and if installed correctly with solinoids and sniffers and venting, LPG sounds much cheaper and more efficient. Is that what most people are going with? Second question, epoxy. Lots of systems and brands and various prices. I see an eBay deal that is super competitive but would hate to skimp on that quality. Has anybody used the product from Simone Store? Is it legit? Lastly, if I do the 28’ Alaskan with swimstep mount how long do the stringers LVL stringers need to be - an additional 4’ over the listed length?
Randy_Henry@msn.com

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
Randy - for epoxy I (and a lot of others around here) use e-bond epoxy out of Florida. First time I ordered I did 3 gallons total (2/1 resin/hardener), since I have ordered a few 15 gallon orders. I think it was around $500ish shipped to southern California for 15 gallons, and the stuff works great for me. Barry is great to work with too. I couldn't find the ebay deal you are referring to so I don't know how much that was going for, but ebond is the best price I have been able to find.

Jason

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 09:54:40 PM »
Thank you for the information. I will look him up!
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:06:06 AM »

Based on everything I've read from people here and elsewhere, I would use eBond on my next project ... No need to drop hard-earned cash on the table for System Three or WEST.  eBond is a much better deal.

Brian

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
Hey, I’ve got a guy near by dumping a 27.5’ Bayliner Victoria. The trailer looks pretty good and I could probably salvage off parts of the boat for sale and then dispose of it. My primary interest is the trailer though. I don’t mind refitting trailers for brakes and such - I’ve done it before. Any idea if the trailer would be a good one for a 28’ GA?
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 07:12:06 AM »

Since the 2 boat lengths are similar, I'd say that the trailer length is probably fine.  As for trailer width, bunks etc, you'll want to take some measurements and decide.  You can't measure trailer width right through  boat that's on the trailer, so drop plumb bobs down from key points and measure the widths on the ground, e.g. bunk locations, fender clearance etc.  Look at the bunkers etc ... are they adjustable for width, heighth, fore and aft if necessary?  Look at the drawing that's included in the plans called 'Amidships Cross Section' ... key dimensions are given to help folks match a trailer to the boats.  If you buy a boat to 'get the trailer', you certainly wouldn't be the first!

Brian

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 04:10:30 PM »
Perfect! Thank you.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 03:15:23 PM »
Yes, Ebond.  Dont talk to anyone except Barry.  Just trust me!