Author Topic: 30' GA in Elma Wa.  (Read 2052 times)

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: 30' GA in Elma Wa.
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2021, 08:18:36 PM »
I keep hearing about E-Bond and the price is so good it scares me! Ever any issues with blushing? or anything else for that matter? I've always used Euro at least it was better price than West or System-3. Not sure I would risk mixing the two, don't know enough about it to see if the chemicals are compatible. Besides I just ordered another 6 gallon kit, hope that's it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:20:51 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »
Blushing? I know that Cannon experience it in an unheated shop but I have never had it happen, but I always clean before sanding unless I re-apply it while still in the green state. 

1285 is faster, 1289 for warmer weather and it wets cloth out better.
http://www.ebondepoxies.com/products-services/marine-epoxies/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:39:13 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2021, 10:31:16 PM »
I dont know that I ever experienced blush.   My work temp is 60 degrees this time of year.   I just ordered another 6 gallons of resin.   That will be 36 gallons.  Im hoping that will do it.  I have wasted some,  but not gallons. 

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2021, 06:48:24 AM »
I have had work blush during the winter-time or cold humid nights with eBond. Wipes off with water easily, not a problem really... Especially if you are using something like peel ply. 3 gallons is well under $200 shipped, do some science!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2021, 07:01:24 AM »

Blush is often pretty light, hard to detect.  Best way to look for it is to walk the full length of the boat, dragging your hand on the hull the whole way ... blush will feel a little waxy on your hand.  Best to clean it off (ammonia water) before sanding.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

ghelland

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2021, 07:33:57 PM »
I have never seen blush but after scrubbing with a 3M pad and water the surface feels cleaner.  I do it every time just to be sure I get the best bond possible.  I know this is adding time to the build but I think we are all betting that we have great boats and will take them anywhere.

Rbob, thanks for the advice on the Epoxy cost.

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2021, 10:05:51 AM »
Ive used a lot of epoxies - generally in smaller amounts though - and so far Im very pleased with the eBond. I havent mixed formulas at all and would hesitate also without talking to their experts or giving it a good trial.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

ghelland

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 11:12:59 PM »
I am getting very close to applying my spray rails ect.  I am concerned about having un-glassed wood in the water.   At some point I am sure I will beach my boat.   Has anyone glassed over UHMW?  I am thinking that if I poke a hole in the glass I won't have anything to rot.

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2021, 08:38:46 AM »
I used strips of marine plywood for my spray rails and then glassed over them with 4 inch tape. This created a lot of fairing to smooth out the tape, bit it was worth it.

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2021, 08:52:54 AM »
I am getting very close to applying my spray rails ect.  I am concerned about having un-glassed wood in the water.   At some point I am sure I will beach my boat.   Has anyone glassed over UHMW?  I am thinking that if I poke a hole in the glass I won't have anything to rot.

My non-professional opinion is that you would not glass over UHMW.  You can look up bonding UHMW, flame treatment, G-flex. If I went that route I would add UHMW on top of a wooden strake.  You would be able to screw the UHMW into the strakes without penetrating the hull.

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »
When it comes to the spray rails there was lengthy discussion in my build thread including alternate lofting from Brian with CAD drawings.  Dont know if these numbers are in the new plans.  It also explains Brians suggestion on glassing them to the hull.

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »
I used a UHMW shoe on a drift boat years ago. It expands and contracts a lot, which worked screws loose and I ended up with a lot of dry rot. I did many things wrong with that boat though, so maybe it was me. I would want to be sure the screw holes were well potted with epoxy. Or, cut narrow slots for the screw mounts so the UHMW can expand and contact laterally without pushing the screws around. On my drift boat I loved how slippery and tough the UHMW was, but keeping the screws in place was a losing battle for me.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2021, 02:43:44 PM »
Gary,

Just curious if the UHMW shoe on your driftboat was attached by screws only?

I would not use UHMW if that was the case.  You have some time to make a couple samples to see how it sticks with some g-flex, / flame treated one with screws on 8" centers or so and one with just screws and the end.

I would use G- flex on whatever shoe you choose.

G-flex stuff:
https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/gflex-epoxy-adhesion-data/

And Reltek Adhesive for UHMW:

http://www.reltekllc.com/adhesivesforuhmw.aspx
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:53:23 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »

I'm curious how adhesives would hold up on a large gluing surface such as the entire bottom of a boat .... say, a stitch-n-glue jet sled or driftboat ... not just strips on skegs?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

ghelland

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2021, 09:39:21 PM »
I would say that it would work well.  That would be a lot of square inches and not much force.