Author Topic: 30' GA in Elma Wa.  (Read 21468 times)

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
30' GA in Elma Wa.
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »
Brian,
I am trying to determine the location of Mold #2 on my 30' jig.  By using the locations given on page 66 and drawing 004c, I see that the location between 27' and 28' changed by 7" instead of the 5" change seen between the 26' to 27' versions.  Due to the non-linear change I would like help with the 30' Mold #2 location. 
It also appears that on drawing 010c the locations for Molds #1 and #2 are not as simple as adding an amount per foot.  Please let me know where they should be too.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: 30' GA in Elma Wa.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 05:28:13 AM »
Brian,
I am trying to determine the location of Mold #2 on my 30' jig.  By using the locations given on page 66 and drawing 004c, I see that the location between 27' and 28' changed by 7" instead of the 5" change seen between the 26' to 27' versions.  Due to the non-linear change I would like help with the 30' Mold #2 location. 
It also appears that on drawing 010c the locations for Molds #1 and #2 are not as simple as adding an amount per foot.  Please let me know where they should be too.

I can help you but we're out for the weekend, back on Monday .. :(

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:54:21 AM »
ghelland,

Glad to see a build that will be near to me, I am in Olympia so if you every need some help I am close by.  I do not have any experience  / knowledge with the 30' model but some experience with glass/epoxy etc.

Looking forward to this build.

RBob

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
Brian,

Mold #2 for bottom panels and shelves - The key take away for you is that you want the hull and sheer to describe a smooth curve ... do that and it'll look good and work well.  Note that the Great Alaskan models are all the same bottom assembly (shape) from amidships forward (same for sheerline), and all stretching is done by expanding/shrinking the stations from amidships aft... like an accordian from amidships aft, front half of the boat staying the same.  Those molds that go between the stern and amidships need to go where they FIT, e.g. Mold #1 near the stern as spec'd, Mold #3 near amidships as spec'd, and Mold #2 about halfway between ... nudged fore or aft to fit and achieve a smooth curve.  The given locations work for the given lengths.  The bottom line is that you will want to eyeball the curves from all angles and put the molds in the location that works best ... Again, what you are looking for are smooth curves and the straight runs aft that are described in the construction manual.  Hope the above is clear... :D

Brian

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:04:41 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 09:26:56 PM »
ghelland,

Glad to see a build that will be near to me, I am in Olympia so if you every need some help I am close by.  I do not have any experience  / knowledge with the 30' model but some experience with glass/epoxy etc.

Looking forward to this build.

RBob
I looked at your boat project.  WOW!
When you are done, I think you might have the nicest great alaskan ever built.
I would like to see your boat because seeing your boat will give me a little of your hindsight and help keep me on the right track.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
ghelland,

Cant wait to see your boat also, you can come by almost any evening or weekend, except archery elk season...

Get some pics up soon.

Bob

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 08:44:28 AM »
Are you stretching a GA to 30’ or building the Kodiak?

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 06:47:19 PM »
Todd, Its a GA.  I don't want to tow a 10.5' boat all over the country.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 05:36:06 AM »

ghelland's boat will be the longest GA yet, beating Kent Cannon's by about 8" or so.  Kent's is 29'4".

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Todd, Its a GA.  I don't want to tow a 10.5' boat all over the country.
Just to clarify The Kodiak is only 9'6' not 10" 6". Most states will allow a yearly permit under 10 feet wide so no big deal towing. If it wasn't for worrying about insurance denying a claim wile towing I wouldn't even bother with a permit. I doubt any law enforcement would even notice at 9'6" or at least bother with it.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »

Yeah, greater than 8-1/2 ft wide and less than 10 feet just requires a permit and maybe the banner.  Over 10 feet wide and you'll need pilot vehicles... This is why the standard GA is just under 8-1/2 ft wide (no permit at all) and the Kodiak is less than 10 ft wide (no pilot car)

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »
ghelland,

Having seen Bob's boat, I can testify to the quality of his work.  He has good design examples to consider, e.g. his splash well.  His approach to building is instructive also, e.g. his roof build.

TE
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Tom Freeburg

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 09:32:07 AM »
How can I learn more about the splash well by ghelland?
Thank you

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
Tom,
I believe the extended bracket is what Tom E. is referring to.

Starts here:
https://www.glacierboats.net/forum/index.php?topic=444.150

Tom Freeburg

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 09:15:12 PM »
Ok, thx,
Maybe in a year or two.
Just trying to finish out my Jumbo 25.5 right now