Author Topic: 30' GA in Elma Wa.  (Read 20999 times)

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: 30' GA in Elma Wa.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 01:41:22 PM »
About the shed.  I just sketched up a single arch and built it on my barn floor.  We did have to add plastic to the inside this winter to catch the condensation.  When we started heating it in the evenings the water would run down to the perlans and drip off on to the project.

I am not sure what is happening with the width of my pictures so any clues would be appreciated.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2021, 02:48:11 PM »
That is an awesome temp boat building shed!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2021, 03:11:17 PM »

I am not sure what is happening with the width of my pictures so any clues would be appreciated.

Not sure, I resized and rotated your pic and it still came out sideways, It could be a cell phone thing, Its the aspect ration that was off. I resize the photos with the Paint Program on my computer, I "right click" the photo I want and select edit to resize and rotate if needed:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2021, 04:58:05 PM »

The image rotation and scaling is caused by Simple Machines Forums failing to recognize EXIF info in the picture ... a problem with pix from phones in particular.  There's a mod that's on my todo list to install that automatically fixes this (Automatic Attachment Rotation mod) ... it reads the EXIF tags, determines which way is up, and then inserts the picture in the RIGHT orientation ... thanks for the heads up.  I keep forgetting about it ....

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
Today i placed the other side on the hull and crawled under to mark for cutting.  Wow!!!!! I have been smiling for hours.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 06:03:43 AM »
Today i placed the other side on the hull and crawled under to mark for cutting.  Wow!!!!! I have been smiling for hours.

It's looking like a giant boat now!  :D

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2021, 12:44:08 PM »
Brian, I was looking on line and found a few places that said you should not use a Kerosene heater when working with epoxy.  Have you ever heard of anyone having a real problem with this?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
Brian, I was looking on line and found a few places that said you should not use a Kerosene heater when working with epoxy.  Have you ever heard of anyone having a real problem with this?

People do use them and I haven't heard of any complaints.  I think the main issues are moisture and soot.  Usually, if it's cold, the air is dry, so moisture shouldn't be a big problem.  I also seem to recall it's the forced-air (looks like a jet engine on a cart) ones that may have issues.  Personally, I think if you're burning #1 stove oil or clean kerosene, then deposits ought to be minimal, and if the heater's in good condition, it should burn very clean and not leave soot.  Try it for a week ... then walk down the boat full length while dragging your hand or a clean paper towel along the top surface of the boat and look ...

Not sure if that helps or not ... I've always had boiler heat (exterior stack) or heated with natural gas.

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 06:49:35 PM »
Thanks, its a brand new heater and I have not seen any soot.  The only issue I see is the room heats up way faster than the wood.  So I am heating the room for a few hours before applying anything.  When I fire up the heat on a cold day the thick areas of the boat are so cold that water condenses out of the air to let me know I need to wait for the wood to heat up.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2021, 08:06:39 AM »

Sounds good to me!  Dave Nolan provides good advice ... heat the wood WARMER than you want, then apply epoxy while the room/wood cools off.  This will draw epoxy deeper into the wood.  Applying epoxy to new wood in a warming environment can cause bubbles as the wood out-gasses.  Subsequent coats of epoxy fixes that, but who wants them?

Check for soot or other residues, including plain ol' dust, before applying epoxy.  This is standard practice for everyone - clean boat, wiped down w/vinegar or ammonia water and dried, is a great prep for epoxy.  The ONLY epoxy joint that I've seen fail (a bracket under a sheer deck) was one that was applied to dusty wood that was not wiped down before gluing.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2021, 04:16:38 PM »
Gary,
I had two cheap oil filled electric heaters that I placed under the hull (upside down boat) to heat the wood from the inside so you are putting epoxy on warm wood.

Your boat is pretty low the way it sits so not much heat would be escaping.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-500-Watt-Oil-Filled-Radiant-Electric-Space-Heater-with-Thermostat-HO-0279/309069851

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2021, 04:48:07 PM »
Gary,
I had two cheap oil filled electric heaters that I placed under the hull (upside down boat) to heat the wood from the inside so you are putting epoxy on warm wood.

Your boat is pretty low the way it sits so not much heat would be escaping.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-500-Watt-Oil-Filled-Radiant-Electric-Space-Heater-with-Thermostat-HO-0279/309069851

At 500W, they don't put out a lot of heat but I own TWO of them because they work ... and work well.  Just give them some time and enjoy...

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2021, 10:37:00 PM »
1,500 watts

These work amazingly well underneath a boat, not so much in a big open space.

I left mine on for days at a time when I was glassing the bottom and sides, if you have one of those infrared temp guns you can check the surface temp, I paid maybe 10 bucks and bought 2 of them, thanks to covid they are $25 - $30 now.

On edit, found one on ebay for $9.46, last one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contact-LCD-Digital-Infrared-Thermometer-Temperature-IR-Gun-Industrial/402656622218?hash=item5dc034768a:g:hJ4AAOSwCpVgC5hP
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:40:28 PM by Rbob »

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
Thanks for your input.  As long as it is above freezing outside my heater can get the boat warm enough to suck the epoxy into the wood and ask for more.  I keep all my supplies in the house to make sure the epoxy is thin. 
FYI I am using Aero brand epoxy and have zero complaints.

Oh, how I miss those warm days in summer.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 07:24:31 PM »
Is it Aeromarine Epoxy?  I used that in the beginning, but Ebond epoxy's  price was impossible for me to ignore, 6 gallons delivered for $286 vs Aeromarine $611 for the same 6 gallons.

You will use 30 - 50 gallons.

On edit, I purchased 15g from aeromarine, when I poured it into my 5g dispensers it ended up being 13.5 gallons, when I called them out on it they sent me 3 gallons for free and changed the description on ebay.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 07:30:02 PM by Rbob »