Author Topic: Kicker motor  (Read 43 times)

Sprig1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kicker motor
« on: October 06, 2020, 07:05:09 PM »
Hi, I was wondering on a kicker motor how long of a shaft do you need? One option would be mounted on the transom on a bracket. The other option would be a transom like Djeffrey has on his boat. Thanks

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Kicker motor
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 06:28:03 AM »
Hi Sprig1,

I'd recommend an XL 25" shaft length, even on a kicker.  Because the boat will not be on plane, the waterline will be 3" or 4" above the chine while you're trolling along.  At the worst-case kicker mount where the center of the motor is right at the inside edge of the main stringers (that really crowds the main), the transom measures about 21"+.  You could get away with a 20" kicker it seems.  More so if you move the kicker further outboard. 

So why recommend the 25" shaft?  Several reasons.  If the head of the motor is higher, it'll be easier to use the tiller handle if you've got one.  A higher mount also tends to align with the main better, so steering linkage is straighter/more level (assuming a bracket here).  Next, you're not trying to optimize for efficiency when trolling and depth of the prop won't matter at all.  It's not a skinny-water issue either since the skeg on the main will run deeper than your kicker, regardless.  Finally, when offshore and it's getting lumpy, you'll prefer a deeper-running kicker so that it doesn't cavitate on a hard acceleration while turning sharply.

So, you can use a 20" long shaft if you'd like, but I think the 25" extra long is more forgiving.

Anyone out there using a 20" shaft and can provide more feedback here???  Thx...

Brian

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:31:39 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Sprig1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kicker motor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 06:38:30 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply Brian. You are a wealth of knowledge