Author Topic: Bow Eye placement  (Read 531 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Bow Eye placement
« on: October 14, 2020, 03:13:41 PM »
Looking through the manuals I do not see any info on where to place the bow eye for the trailer winch. Seems like a good spot might be 4-5" above where the upper/main spray rails meet the bow? Any comments from builders who have their hull on a trailer would be appreciated!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bow Eye placement
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 04:17:00 PM »
Page 20 in the manual pt 2 talks about it including locations, which are one just above the intersection of the chines and the stem, the other as high on the stem as you can get it without interfering with under shelve blocking for the anchor roller. I don't have my hull on a trailer just yet so I can't vouch for how it fits, but that's where I put mine so hopefully it does. :)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 06:16:43 PM »
Page 20 in the manual pt 2 talks about it including locations, which are one just above the intersection of the chines and the stem, the other as high on the stem as you can get it without interfering with under shelve blocking for the anchor roller. I don't have my hull on a trailer just yet so I can't vouch for how it fits, but that's where I put mine so hopefully it does. :)
Guess I'm getting too far ahead of myself. I haven't paid much attention to vol.#2 yet :) I was thinking it would be much easier to locate, drill and dry fit it prior to flipping. I want a good strong bow eye bolt. It may require some reglassing while fitting depending on how wide the base of the eye is, if so I would rather do it now. Thanks for the reply!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 08:44:02 PM »
No worries... I can't think of a reason why where you are at wouldn't be a good time to get that done, seems like you kind of have good access with the hull upside-down. Another consideration that was discussed a bit around the time I did mine is finding 316 ss with long enough shafts to get all the way through the stem. I ended up settling for 304 ss and 5/8" thick. The things are monsters, but my tradeoff is that I am going to have to be diligent about washing the salt off. In hind sight I wish I had perhaps just gone with a 3/8" 316 with shorter bolts, and just used a forstner bit or a router to make a pocket for them in the stem.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 08:47:15 PM »

3/8" 316 thru that hefty stem is puh-lenty... but many use 1/2".  I tend to round up a tad and like 1/2" 316 U-bolts and plates or big washers.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>