Author Topic: GA28 in Silverton Oregon  (Read 3928 times)

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: GA28 in Silverton Oregon
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2021, 01:16:24 PM »
Im still waiting for my glass fabric to come in so I havent done much on the boat. I was however weighing the options on the extra glass. A couple quick hits with the planer and Id have the transom inset enough to go over the fillet. I think thats what Ill do, but lots of great advice coming in!
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2021, 05:32:33 PM »
Im still waiting for my glass fabric to come in so I havent done much on the boat. I was however weighing the options on the extra glass. A couple quick hits with the planer and Id have the transom inset enough to go over the fillet. I think thats what Ill do, but lots of great advice coming in!
I think you got your glass from Nohas, they have good pricing but they are slow. I couldn't even get the on the phone after 3 attempts. I started going to Fiberglass supply in WA. normally once I place the order I get it the next day or the day after. I'm sure you would be the same shipping time. 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
Yea, slow. After this its Fiberglass Supply. I should have about all I need though. FedX says its here Friday.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
Ive finished up with the inside of the bottom now. I think it came out very well - very solid! Ill do a video soon but for now theres not a lot to show. I am rigging chain hoists now and will hopefully flip it this week so I can glass the backside this weekend. I added a bracket to the platform and hung the fiberglass roll in it. Made it really easy to pull the fabric down the hull, tack it in place with epoxy, then pour and squeegee in the resin.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:05:47 PM by rhenryinoregon »
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2021, 05:02:33 PM »
Ive finished up with the inside of the bottom now. I think it came out very well - very solid! Ill do a video soon but for now theres not a lot to show. I am rigging chain hoists now and will hopefully flip it this week so I can glass the backside this weekend. I added a bracket to the platform and hung the fiberglass roll in it. Made it really easy to pull the fabric down the hull, tack it in place with epoxy, then pour and squeegee in the resin.

Hopefully when you say "glass the backside this weekend", you mean taping the bottom (towards water) chine flat-to-bottom panel seams ... not glassing the whole thing, right?  You won't do that until the transom, side panels, and bottom panel assembly (including 2nd layer in the bow area) are all assembled and you're glassing the whole exterior of the boat.

Looking great!  Well done!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2021, 06:30:17 PM »
I thought about my wording after I posted but was too lazy to fix it. Just the fair body up to the 3/8 , and the chines too, right? Ill double check before I get in there. Thanks for keeping me honest. Not like Ive got this nailed.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2021, 08:36:56 PM »
I thought about my wording after I posted but was too lazy to fix it. Just the fair body up to the 3/8 , and the chines too, right? Ill double check before I get in there. Thanks for keeping me honest. Not like Ive got this nailed.

The chine flats are very solid after being glassed on the inside, even though there's no glass tape on the outside seam.  You'll assemble everything as mentioned, add the 2nd layer of 3/8" ply on the bow, then (see constr. manual) you may want to fair things in a bit at the bow before doing any glassing .... then finally, fill all gaps and screw holes and glass the chine flat-to-bottom panel seam.  After the side panels are on and fair, then you'll glass the side panel-to-chine flat seam, then sheath the whole boat in glass.  I like to scrape edges and fair them before each subsequent layer of glass ... makes the final fairing easier.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2021, 09:59:00 AM »
Nothing like a good ice storm and power outage to screw up a three day weekend of boat building!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:00:31 AM by rhenryinoregon »
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

We got 7" or 8" here in Star, Idaho ... refreshing since this part of Idaho almost never gets more than a spotty 1/2" snowfall...

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2021, 06:13:47 PM »
About all Ive managed to do between cutting up trees and clearing limbs is flip my boat bottom. My son was very helpful and the chain hoists made it easy. I prepped the chines and bottom for taping but alas Im exhausted and will now sit by the wood stove for the evening.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:37:21 PM by rhenryinoregon »
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2021, 07:03:26 PM »
Your moving along pretty good!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2021, 08:21:28 PM »
Thanks. Been slow lately. I think Ive decided to do an 8 temp extension off my shop. Its getting a bit tight. Really looking forward to getting it up on the frame and adding the shelves and sides.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2021, 04:18:13 PM »
Chines and fair body are taped and drying. Looks good. If I dont work tomorrow I may hoist it up and start building the frame. Looking forward to that.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2021, 07:29:47 AM »

Nice neat work AND making fast progress!  Good on ya.... :D

Brian

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2021, 10:48:41 PM »
Video update! Power outages really out a crimp in things. I spent yesterday getting the platform ready for the boat frame and laying down the sheer shelves.

This is the first video update. https://youtu.be/vd_P8U9W7HM

And here is the second. https://youtu.be/Lwj1lMpTx_0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:50:54 PM by rhenryinoregon »
Randy_Henry@msn.com