Author Topic: GA30 in Silverton Oregon  (Read 62989 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA28 in Silverton Oregon
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »

Sounds all good from what I can see.  Well thought out. :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2020, 08:51:49 PM »
Hey Brian. I’m lofting the chines today. Is there a reason you don’t have us cut out a template for the chines like we did for the sheer shelves? It saves cutting scrap plywood I suppose. Is that it?
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2020, 08:03:24 AM »
Hey Brian. I’m lofting the chines today. Is there a reason you don’t have us cut out a template for the chines like we did for the sheer shelves? It saves cutting scrap plywood I suppose. Is that it?

It's because the shelf lofting is wider than a 48" wide sheet of plywood and unless you want to do some funky scarfing, it's easiest to make templates for these and then either scarf or laminate shelves to fit.  In the case  of bottom panels and chine flats, the first one you make IS a template (for the other side).

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
Oh. Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »
Hey Brian. Question. I screwed up. I cut the for section of the chines to size, not leaving the extra wood on them for later trimming. I figured it out after I got the entire chine scarfed and glued. Should I cut the front section off and scarf in a new piece or wait to see if this fits? Everything else is going well. Thank you.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2020, 06:12:02 AM »
Hey Brian. Question. I screwed up. I cut the for section of the chines to size, not leaving the extra wood on them for later trimming. I figured it out after I got the entire chine scarfed and glued. Should I cut the front section off and scarf in a new piece or wait to see if this fits? Everything else is going well. Thank you.

You need the proverbial 'moaning chair' in the shop, eh?  Mistakes are part of the game...

So, on the f'w'd chine, the inside line that fits the outer edge of the bottom panels is supposed to be cut before installation.  The f'w'd OUTER line, however is not.  This leaves material that can be clamped to an athwartships 'straight edge' ... so you can get your chine flat installation just right, pulled in at the bow if necessary.  Once locked in and glassed, then the f'w'd chine flat outer line is cut to produce a nice taper inward to the bow where the flats end in a point.

If you already cut the outer line, I guess you can try fitting it.  The thin f'w'd tips can break if you have to pull them inward with clamps and with the chine flat being narrower in the f'w'd sections, it may be hard to clamp them to the aforementioned 'straight edge' above.  It's free to try, however, so why not?  If it appears too difficult, then you can replace the forward end at that time ... there's more than one way to skin a cat...

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »

You need the proverbial 'moaning chair' in the shop, eh?  Mistakes are part of the game...

So, on the f'w'd chine, the inside line that fits the outer edge of the bottom panels is supposed to be cut before installation.  The f'w'd OUTER line, however is not.  This leaves material that can be clamped to an athwartships 'straight edge' ... so you can get your chine flat installation just right, pulled in at the bow if necessary.  Once locked in and glassed, then the f'w'd chine flat outer line is cut to produce a nice taper inward to the bow where the flats end in a point.

If you already cut the outer line, I guess you can try fitting it.  The thin f'w'd tips can break if you have to pull them inward with clamps and with the chine flat being narrower in the f'w'd sections, it may be hard to clamp them to the aforementioned 'straight edge' above.  It's free to try, however, so why not?  If it appears too difficult, then you can replace the forward end at that time ... there's more than one way to skin a cat...
Guess I missed not cutting the outer line on the chines until after installing on the bottom. Every kit I have ever done both Tolman & the GA has always been finish cut on both inside and outside lines. So far I am on my 2nd GA and built one Tolman all 3 chines were cut prior to installing on the hull. Zip ties with 1x6 clamped on top going across both chines with peanut butter works for me. sorry don't have a picture of the chine tips.
P.S. Just found a picture from my widebody build that shows the chine attached with bailing wire. I use zip ties now
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:13:19 AM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2020, 09:58:23 AM »
FWIW I left the extra material on as directed.  That being said, I never really had to force fight for fit any component or sub assembly.   Everything fit quite nice.  Brian has provided great plans, and even if you do stray two weeks later no one will be the wiser!   

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2020, 11:27:02 AM »
You guys are awesome. Looking back it would have been no big deal to recut that, and if needed, I can use the existing chine as a guide anyway. I’ll proceed with caution. Thanks for the input. Next step is the transom, I’ll try to tackle it evenings this week.

Here’s the latest video. Played with the time lapse feature some. https://youtu.be/MimmfL9HkfU

Fun stuff.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:27:51 AM by rhenryinoregon »
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 11:36:42 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2020, 08:14:21 AM »
I went one step further.    I bought 2 remote control air filters and put them in opposite corners.  It’s amazing how quickly they fill up with dust.   I reuse the filters a couple of times.   When you empty them it reminds you what you are breathing

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2020, 09:38:47 AM »
I went one step further.    I bought 2 remote control air filters and put them in opposite corners.  It’s amazing how quickly they fill up with dust.   I reuse the filters a couple of times.   When you empty them it reminds you what you are breathing

Sounds interesting, can you post a link?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2020, 09:29:21 PM »
https://wenproducts.com/products/air-filtration-system-item-3410

I bought two of them.  One remote runs both.  Pretty inexpensive and eat a lot of dust

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2020, 11:28:30 AM »
Of course you are right. I don’t like my current mask a lot so I’ll look into the suggestions and get one ordered. I do have an air cleaner in my main shop and will move it out here once I really get going, especially sanding fiberglass.
Randy_Henry@msn.com