Author Topic: GA30 in Silverton Oregon  (Read 32878 times)

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: GA30 in Silverton Oregon
« Reply #360 on: November 17, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »
Here are some photos of the GA as she is now. The motor is not installed, just hung. It jumps the gun a bit but the dealer needed it off his shop floor. The folks at Sport Craft Marine in Portland were great to work with.

I included a picture of my trailer because it took me the better part of 100+!hours to turn a pig into a good working dependable trailer. All new brake systems, hydraulics, lights, wiring and galvanizing. Itll be a good trailer and I basically traded my time for value as the whole thing only cost me about $2000 all inclusive.

Lastly, the video shows my brother and our wives getting the roof lifted on, but my wife seems pretty happy with the project and thats the best thing.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #361 on: November 24, 2022, 10:54:20 AM »
Some of the work Im doing now is leftover work, things I could have done sooner. Oh well, its all good. Im getting the forward cabin detail work done now and will move on to the cabin next. Heres a quick video on this

https://youtu.be/XeYbgq7dPT4
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #362 on: November 24, 2022, 03:02:48 PM »

Don't forget a magazine (and map) rack and a couple of reading lights on flexible necks ... the cuddy in this boat is a nice cozy space with a big bed and plenty of headroom for hanging out and reading a good book before bedtime...
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #363 on: November 24, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »
Yup! Just ordered the goose neck LEDs but I havent thought much about the book rack. Ill have USB ports and a heat exchanger for the hydronic heater, so itll be comfy.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 24, 2022, 05:14:07 PM »
Yup! Just ordered the goose neck LEDs but I havent thought much about the book rack. Ill have USB ports and a heat exchanger for the hydronic heater, so itll be comfy.

Not such a big deal in Oregon, but in some places, mapping is important ... electronic, but with paper back up.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #365 on: November 24, 2022, 07:32:20 PM »
Yes, maps and charts are pretty important. Im installing a Garmin 943 xsv MFD with an 18 HD radar and a good transducer. Ill have a tablet running Navionics as a BU when I go north. Ive ordered a Standard Horizon GX2400B with AIS receiver and the PA speaker for fog signals and loud hailing. Other electronics I have are a good GPS VHF handheld and a personal locator beacon I carry in my life jacket.

Purely because Ive always wanted one, Im installing a dash mount instrument depth sounder as well. Ive got a Blue Sea systems ac/dc power panel and Ive been stockpiling electrical wire though I expect Ill have to buy quite a bit more. For heat Im doing a Webasto diesel  hydronic heater that Ill mate to a 6 gallon hot water heater and a heat exchanger for cabin and berth heat.

I have a manual flush head that will go in the usual place and include a sump box in the floor as a wet head. I still have some planning to do on the whole MSD thing but I have some pretty good plans.

I have about 10 good LED light fixtures plus the two adjustable.

I ordered today an am/fm/BT stereo today and have a little amp for it and four speakers, plus two for the berth.

Today I ordered two 100 amp hour lithium batteries for the house and an AGM battery for the motor. Ive got a Dc to Dc charger to go between the AGM and the lithium, but Im considering adding an inboard two bank charger like the Genius Pro 2x10 when its parked. Ive also got an 1800 watt DC/AC inverter and plan to install a small microwave in the galley. Ill have a couple 100w or more solar panels on the roof as well.

I even have, if theres room, a 12v TV and a marine digital TV antenna! Got that at an auction cheap and its currently in our kitchen.

What I have left to buy is a cook top and I just havent decided on which configuration. I have a alcohol burner stove top I refurbished but now Im not liking the idea.

I also ordered a bilge control panel that includes manual/auto and a visual and auto high water alarm. It has two floats - high and low - to install but there is plenty of room in the bilge. I have a set of LED floods for the top and, of course, some LED nav lights. I still need an anchor light.

Ive got the fridge as well. So the galley will have to be very efficiently put together for everything to fit. Ive drawn it out but Ive got to really get busy and diagram out the plumbing and wiring and all.

Other plans: Im going to replicate a tackle storage system for the stern with tip out drawers holding Plano tackle trays  there will be a wash down pump back there as well. Im doing rod storage cabinets along the gunnels and a fish box in the floor. I have marine grade expanding foam for floor voids and flotation. Kinda looking forward to that.

Another thing I still need to do is install a thru-hull fitting that will serve the wash down pump and maybe the toilet input. Lots more internal work to do.

I still need to wire in the bow thruster, and the windlass installation. Gadzooks there is a lot to do before spring! And my garage is packed with stuff!

But to respond to the original question, definitely maps and backup maps.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #366 on: November 25, 2022, 10:07:24 AM »
 I have marine grade expanding foam for floor voids and flotation. 

[/quote]
Randy, before using any kind of expanding foam I would suggest doing some serious re-search. Most and probably all expanding foam at some point will absorb water...even marine grade. I've read so many horror stories on this subject, I also know from personal experience on a Devlin Broadbill duck boat I built at lease 20 years ago. I used a marine grade and it was a sponge after opening up the sealed compartments 15 years later.   
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 25, 2022, 11:56:52 AM »
Yes, maps and charts are pretty important. Im installing a Garmin 943 xsv MFD with an 18 HD radar and a good transducer. Ill have a tablet running Navionics as a BU when I go north. Ive ordered a Standard Horizon GX2400B with AIS receiver and the PA speaker for fog signals and loud hailing. Other electronics I have are a good GPS VHF handheld and a personal locator beacon I carry in my life jacket.

Purely because Ive always wanted one, Im installing a dash mount instrument depth sounder as well. Ive got a Blue Sea systems ac/dc power panel and Ive been stockpiling electrical wire though I expect Ill have to buy quite a bit more. For heat Im doing a Webasto diesel  hydronic heater that Ill mate to a 6 gallon hot water heater and a heat exchanger for cabin and berth heat.

I have a manual flush head that will go in the usual place and include a sump box in the floor as a wet head. I still have some planning to do on the whole MSD thing but I have some pretty good plans.

I have about 10 good LED light fixtures plus the two adjustable.

I ordered today an am/fm/BT stereo today and have a little amp for it and four speakers, plus two for the berth.

Today I ordered two 100 amp hour lithium batteries for the house and an AGM battery for the motor. Ive got a Dc to Dc charger to go between the AGM and the lithium, but Im considering adding an inboard two bank charger like the Genius Pro 2x10 when its parked. Ive also got an 1800 watt DC/AC inverter and plan to install a small microwave in the galley. Ill have a couple 100w or more solar panels on the roof as well.

I even have, if theres room, a 12v TV and a marine digital TV antenna! Got that at an auction cheap and its currently in our kitchen.

What I have left to buy is a cook top and I just havent decided on which configuration. I have a alcohol burner stove top I refurbished but now Im not liking the idea.

I also ordered a bilge control panel that includes manual/auto and a visual and auto high water alarm. It has two floats - high and low - to install but there is plenty of room in the bilge. I have a set of LED floods for the top and, of course, some LED nav lights. I still need an anchor light.

Ive got the fridge as well. So the galley will have to be very efficiently put together for everything to fit. Ive drawn it out but Ive got to really get busy and diagram out the plumbing and wiring and all.

Other plans: Im going to replicate a tackle storage system for the stern with tip out drawers holding Plano tackle trays  there will be a wash down pump back there as well. Im doing rod storage cabinets along the gunnels and a fish box in the floor. I have marine grade expanding foam for floor voids and flotation. Kinda looking forward to that.

Another thing I still need to do is install a thru-hull fitting that will serve the wash down pump and maybe the toilet input. Lots more internal work to do.

I still need to wire in the bow thruster, and the windlass installation. Gadzooks there is a lot to do before spring! And my garage is packed with stuff!

But to respond to the original question, definitely maps and backup maps.

... Haha.  Someday, I'll do a minor redesign and increase the capacity of these boats ... people are loading them up!  (If I stay in business long enough) ... but for now, thanks to the (grumble grumble) "current" economy, plans sales went to zero and study plans hung in there for a bit, then study plans sales have quit.  PayPal decided that they'll fine you $2500 for each time that their thought police don't like something that YOU thought ... so I had to drop PayPal.  Small businesses can't afford this trash and one infraction can put you out of business (or pursue a lawsuit that you can't afford and go out of business anyway).  Right now, it's all losses and no gains ... survival mode.  I'll keep things alive until the money runs out ... OK ...Off my pedestal ...

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #368 on: November 25, 2022, 01:13:03 PM »
Wow, that sucks. Well, I keep hoping having the videos out there will help you out some. I think the boat is plenty big for what I want. If things dont fit Ill have a garage sale, but I cant think of how I could possibly have built anything larger. Its pretty close to perfect in my book.

I just spent 4 hours sanding in the forward cabin. For something different , I think Ill do some planning for cabin work this afternoon.. Snow is probably on the way this week so Id like to be able to work in the cabin as its easier to heat!
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Dan Boccia

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: November 25, 2022, 11:29:35 PM »
Looking good Randy! This stage of figuring out all the storage details and how you're going to mount all the equipment you're stockpiling and route wiring/plumbing is a super interesting stage!

Just a heads up, microwaves are maybe 65% efficient, so if your "small" microwave is rated at, say, 700 watts, it will take ~ 1077 watts of inverter output power to run, and since inverters are maybe 85% efficient or so, it will take ~ 1267 watts of DC battery power. Lithium batteries usually operate around 12.8 volts so that's 99 amps of DC power coming out of your battery bank during microwave use (a lot!). Many 100 AH lithium batteries have a continuous discharge rating of no more than 0.5C or 50 amps, so you can see that running this microwave, with absolutely zero simultaneous loads, may be the max your dual 100AH battery bank can handle. If your hydronic heater happens to kick in while the microwave is on, or your fridge, or someone decides to do a washdown, your lithium battery BMS may shut your batteries down due to overload and your house system will be dead until you remove loads and reboot the BMS.

With all the electrical items you have, especially microwave and water heater both which require massive amounts of DC power, your house system appears undersized unless you have more premium batteries with robust BMS's that can reliably discharge at 1.0C or 100 amps each. I'm less worried about your amp-hour capacity than I am about your continuous discharge capacity, although if you plan to stay on the hook in a cove somewhere for a couple days without running, your AH capacity may be lacking unless it's high summer with lots of solar.

Just something to check before you get too far down the road - have fun building!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 11:36:54 PM by Dan Boccia »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2022, 12:28:49 AM »
Re: the foam.  Lots of folks, myself included used pool noodles in the bilge spaces.  There are 200 in mine if I remember right?  A lot, I know that.  Cheap too.  Just a thought.   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 26, 2022, 08:23:29 AM »
Looking good Randy! This stage of figuring out all the storage details and how you're going to mount all the equipment you're stockpiling and route wiring/plumbing is a super interesting stage!

Just a heads up, microwaves are maybe 65% efficient, so if your "small" microwave is rated at, say, 700 watts, it will take ~ 1077 watts of inverter output power to run, and since inverters are maybe 85% efficient or so, it will take ~ 1267 watts of DC battery power. Lithium batteries usually operate around 12.8 volts so that's 99 amps of DC power coming out of your battery bank during microwave use (a lot!). Many 100 AH lithium batteries have a continuous discharge rating of no more than 0.5C or 50 amps, so you can see that running this microwave, with absolutely zero simultaneous loads, may be the max your dual 100AH battery bank can handle. If your hydronic heater happens to kick in while the microwave is on, or your fridge, or someone decides to do a washdown, your lithium battery BMS may shut your batteries down due to overload and your house system will be dead until you remove loads and reboot the BMS.

With all the electrical items you have, especially microwave and water heater both which require massive amounts of DC power, your house system appears undersized unless you have more premium batteries with robust BMS's that can reliably discharge at 1.0C or 100 amps each. I'm less worried about your amp-hour capacity than I am about your continuous discharge capacity, although if you plan to stay on the hook in a cove somewhere for a couple days without running, your AH capacity may be lacking unless it's high summer with lots of solar.

Just something to check before you get too far down the road - have fun building!

Solution: SHORE POWER ... and no hot water unless heated on a stove when offshore, and no microwave offshore (use the cooktop).  That's what I'd do anyway - simplifies everything.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 26, 2022, 08:26:25 AM »
Re: the foam.  Lots of folks, myself included used pool noodles in the bilge spaces.  There are 200 in mine if I remember right?  A lot, I know that.  Cheap too.  Just a thought.

KEY WORDS: CLOSED-CELL POLYETHYLENE ... impervious to bilge filth, oil, gas, and everything else, and does NOT absorb more than about 3% (by weight) water even if submerged for years.  Pool noodles are polyethylene but you can buy it in sheets and blocks too. polyEHYLene ... ETHYL ... plastic names are confusing ... must be polyethylene (did I mention polyethylene?).. LOL ...

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #373 on: November 26, 2022, 09:15:13 AM »
Thanks for the input! My original desire was a small range like a Force 10 or something. If I did that, no microwave and minimal pier draw. Maybe I will reconsider that. Im mapping out the space for the hot water heater and its tight. Maybe too much of a luxury?

Anyway, Ill spend time reviewing my list of wants and needs. I appreciate the input.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 26, 2022, 11:37:41 AM »
Thanks for the input! My original desire was a small range like a Force 10 or something. If I did that, no microwave and minimal pier draw. Maybe I will reconsider that. Im mapping out the space for the hot water heater and its tight. Maybe too much of a luxury?

Anyway, Ill spend time reviewing my list of wants and needs. I appreciate the input.

If you're gunkholing or traveling (SE Alaska!) and sleeping nights in a slip, then why not have the luxuries?  Hot shower or cold shower?  I can go without a microwave, but for extended trips, having hot water for a shower (on-demand sprayer) is priceless.