Author Topic: SketchUp  (Read 427 times)

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
SketchUp
« on: November 02, 2020, 11:49:05 PM »
I thought this might be a useful tool worth mentioning for others that are in the long term planning stages as well. As a first time builder, going through the instructions is confusing sometimes. Building it out on SketchUp is helping me visualize and learn the things that I don't understand at first glance. It won't be perfect(I'm not a computer guru), but its close enough and they have a free online version.
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: SketchUp
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:25:50 AM »

Looks pretty cool ... does it require much of a learning curve?
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »
I don't think it requires much of a learning curve for the basics. I'm still struggling with curve surfaces. I make it work but it won't be perfect. Just some key things that really keep you on track. Learning command shortcuts for the key board and using a mouse is you're on a laptop. A mouse is a must in my opinion. Also copying items before certain modifications, sometimes back tracking mistakes is complicated, but having the original item makes starting over easy. Example; outline I outlined the hull, went to extrude the plywood to 3/4" and half way through ran into issues. I couldn't back track and had to start over. If I had copied the outline first It would have saved half the time. All the basics can be learned on Youtube. Not practical for everyone, but I have nothing but time to kill with my current job.
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 06:57:16 AM »

We use Rhino 3D ... $1k for the commercial license, plus annual maintenance (renewals).  If you are a qualifying student, then it's $200 ... that's how/when I got started with it (Westlawn Professional School of Yacht Design).  It's got GREAT tools built in for boat design ... but if you're building a fast boat or big boat or a big and fast boat (the Great Alaskan and Kodiak!), then it's another $2800 for the Orca 3D marine modeling and analysis software, plus a long painstaking process of modeling each and every teensy-to-large piece and part in the boat so you can determine an accurate center of gravity.  I use a US Navy design spreadsheet for that.  And if you iterate the design, then you have to re-do everything ... the CG analysis, the marine modeling and analysis etc.  It took about 3 years, as time allowed, to design the Great Alaskan series of boats.  As I've stated before, this is definitely a Hobby Business type of effort, not a money maker.  But it covers my expenses enough to keep software updated and boat plans on the web...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 01:04:05 AM »
I can only imagine. I downloaded a tail version of rhino and orca to play around with. It was way to complicated for me though. Yea, self supporting hobbies are a bit of a bitter sweet juggling act. We definitely appreciate everything you're doing though!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 07:00:13 AM »
I can only imagine. I downloaded a tail version of rhino and orca to play around with. It was way to complicated for me though. Yea, self supporting hobbies are a bit of a bitter sweet juggling act. We definitely appreciate everything you're doing though!

It takes time and practice to figure out the work flows that work best for boat design in Rhino 3D.  I've got all that dialed in ...

Orca 3D is only as good as your CG analysis ... the CG determination has to be very detailed, very accurate.  Add that to your solid hull model and then you get good predictive results from Orca 3D. 

bd