Author Topic: Euro Transom  (Read 454 times)

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Euro Transom
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »
Thought I would post this on its own thread for future builders looking for Euro transom ideas:

I have to make a big huge decision. Leave the transom as it is built right now, which is the way the designer intended. Option two is to make a euro transom. There are no plans for this so before cutting, I wanted to mock it up to see if I liked the looks and make sure my plan would work since the idea is only in my head. I think if I was going to stay with a single motor I would leave it the way it is now. I like the look and it would give me hore cockpit space. But since I really want twin motors this doesn’t really take up anymore space than the original transom if It had twins.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:50:50 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Euro Transom
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 04:11:31 PM »

It IS a tough decision!  I do like the large vertical f'w'd transom thing ... great storage space for valves, switches, wash-down pump, filters etc ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 05:10:35 PM »
I think your mock looks good.  You sure are making tons of progress that’s for sure!

Tom Freeburg

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 06:59:28 PM »
It’s looking very good, Mr. Cabinet maker guy!  I like Brian’s point of view; solid protected space for your fuel lines, etc. should be the deal breaker, and it does look like you have taken that issue into account.  I say go for it!

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »

It IS a tough decision!  I do like the large vertical f'w'd transom thing ... great storage space for valves, switches, wash-down pump, filters etc ...
Yea 2/3rds will be bait tank/fish box on far starboard side, bleed tank far port side. Underneath will be all the other stuff you mention.

The 6"wide flat at the top of the motor well will be for walking space while at the dock and act a a platform to hold one of my tuna bags while out fishing. I like my fish bags out of the cockpit when possible. I think once the motors are trimmed down there might be an opportunity to have a drop in flat plank (maybe 6-10" wide)to make that area much wider. Just need enough room to allow for max trimming while underway.

The aft part of the fish box will be full width and extend to the hull and chines, with some generous limbers of course. Kind of an inner transom. The starboard side of the tuna door cut out is all part of the inner transom. I will be adding several layers of ply (3"total) to the face including under the door, these also will go down to the hull. It will also give me a real nice place to hinge the tuna door to.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:26:56 PM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
28' GA Might Be Next

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 01:18:28 AM »
Definitely do the Euro style. I plan to do the same but with out the slant if possible. Need the Swim platform for Scuba Diving/spear fishing.
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »
From cardboard to realty. I have had this transom in my head for about 8 years now, it's good to finally see it. Now my head has more room in it for some other crazy ideas. I really wanted easy access through the tuna door from the dock in and out of the boat. I also wanted the recessed ladder. Probably won't use it much while on the pond but it will be real handy getting into the boat while its on the trailer. I actually like the look more than I thought I would. I also got the motor well drain holes cut and made my fiberglass tubes. Measuring today I have 8'3" of deck space in the cockpit for chasing fish. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:35:22 PM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
28' GA Might Be Next

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 02:41:41 PM »

Wow!  Looks great!!  :D :D :D

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
Awesome!   You know that your building your boat backwards!  Right?   It would be awesome to have that much room to play. 
   How do you get to mounting/servicing the swim ladder.  Love it!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:44:05 PM by Todd j »