Author Topic: Insulated fish box  (Read 367 times)

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
Insulated fish box
« on: December 01, 2020, 07:30:39 PM »
As I run out of stuff in PH Iím looking ahead to the cockpit.  Iím interested in a large insulated fish box between the stringers.  I will put a flat floor in it above the bilge to keep them separate.  I plan to use polyisocyanurate insulation as it has the highest stated R value per inch thickness.  I am leaning towards 1Ē thickness.  I watched a lot of YouTube videos and I can say I wonít use any of those methods!   
   I think I will cover the insulation with 1/4Ē okume glassed each side with the seams taped.  I do worry some about a block of ice being dropped and puncturing the glass if I do not line it with plywood.  This of course eats up minimal room. 
   Anyone have any experience with this.   My intention is to keep fish on ice in there no more than 48 hours.   I think this compartment would also make a great outta the way storage for dive gear and dive tanks

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Insulated fish box
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »
Todd,

I used the waterproof contact cement and glued the okume strait to the foam and only glassed one side of the okume and added fillets( glass bubbles) in place. 

The 3M Fastbond Contact Adhesive 30NF  will not melt the foam, I used it on my roof and the insulated fish box between the stringers. 

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:08:51 PM »
I couldnít find an R value for the pVc foam like you used.  The 1Ē polyisocyanurate has a r value of 6, for the sake of discussion
  The not so flat surface of the foil sided insulation makes it a bit tougher to adhere evenly and totally.  I ran into that on my fridge.  Iím not sure if the thinner product has a more uniform surface
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 08:11:33 PM by Todd j »

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 08:27:12 PM »
I used the pink stuff on the fish box. fwiw

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 03:38:01 PM »
Well I went ahead as I intended.   It was along project.  Today I lined the bottom with 12 oz biax. Also went up 6Ē on the ends and sides just for impact resistance. 

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 05:32:10 PM »
Did you do a layer of foam and then a layer of plywood on the interior? I did foam with biax on top of it and am hemming and hawing about whether or not I like it, I think I will probably end up putting some thin ply as a liner (perhaps some 4mm hydrotek)

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 06:01:16 PM »
I haven't looked into it yet but I thinking I will have a custom tuna bag made for what space I have. I would not try to take it out with fish in it. Just think it will be mach easier than building in all the insulation. Then I can remove it and use the area for storage or whatever and have more room. I think the tuna bags have a much better R value but not really sure. I know my stock tuna bags work real well out in the sun. I'll have to stick a pump in there with a good low spot for cleaning
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »
I put the foam in first and the  A layer Of glassed okume plywood.  I didnít want to puncture the glass and get I to the foam.  FWIW I bought some hydrotech and glassed it side by side with some okume.  The hydrotech takes epoxy less readily than the more expensive stuff.  Had I known this early on I probably could have saved a lot of time and money.  Try it and see if Iím not correct.  I would be interested in someone who finds the same results.  Seems like if this is real it would have been out there by now. 
   Iím toying with the idea of building a remover tote that fits the fish box.   That way you donít have to handle everything that goes in it.  Two burly dudes. An just grab the tote box and go.  Weíll see