Author Topic: Fuel selecting switches in battery area?  (Read 122 times)

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Fuel selecting switches in battery area?
« on: January 25, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »
I know the obvious best answer already. Just wondering if anyone is aware of and any ABYC rules or other official (do not do this) about having my batteries, battery selecting switch and my fuel tank selection valves in the same compartment. The compartment is just forward of the motor well, the left side of the box in the photo. The area is fairly well vented and I will be using USCG A1 below deck fuel hose (fire rated for 2 hours) so I can't see any fumes coming through the hose. With everything double clamped I don't see an issue. Looking for any and all comments!!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:29:41 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel selecting switches in battery area?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 03:21:47 PM »
Are you going manual valve or electric?  Not sure it matters, but I care too.  Sorry for the almost hijack

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »

You know the obvious answer.  Consider that even if the switch and related are ignition proof, you might be attaching/detaching wiring near the fuel components and sparks can happen.

No, not aware of any regulations on this topic ... which doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I personally am unaware of them.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Grady300

• Lieutenant
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:38:07 PM »

You know the obvious answer.  Consider that even if the switch and related are ignition proof, you might be attaching/detaching wiring near the fuel components and sparks can happen.

No, not aware of any regulations on this topic ... which doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I personally am unaware of them.
Why is it when you know the answer already but you don't like the answer you ask anyway....lol OK I will be a big boy and re-route my fuel lines into the opening on the right :)
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 07:41:27 AM »

Why is it when you know the answer already but you don't like the answer you ask anyway....lol OK I will be a big boy and re-route my fuel lines into the opening on the right :)

If the area where the fuel lines v. the switch is wide open to the wind, it's safer of course ... but I still like to separate electricals and fuel.  Can't predict everything that may happen, so may as well hedge your bets.  Between the two, I'd lean towards running fuel lines as short and direct as possible and letting electrical wiring snake around to wherever.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>