Author Topic: Stern eyes, bow chalks and cleats  (Read 1722 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Stern eyes, bow chalks and cleats
« on: March 03, 2021, 10:18:46 AM »
First question is stern eyes, is it common to mount them vertically or parallel to to boat sides?

Not sure if I need bow chocks or there purpose, any thoughts?

The cleats I used 6 of them, rear, mid-ship and front just aft of windshield and accessible from side windows.  I will put one between windlass and pulpit, offset to the side a few inches.

Filled holes with raw epoxy waited about twenty minutes and sucked out epoxy with syringe and added West 404 to thicken and refilled. Tip use the countersink bit in reverse.

Pics of cleat install:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 11:26:20 AM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Stern eyes, bow chalks and cleats
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:36:52 PM »

Bow chocks aren't used much and are just line/rode guides.  Saw a guy with bow chocks guiding the anchor rode over to alongside the captain's window where he cleated off the line.  For fishing with an anchor and buoy where you want to toss off the anchor to go chase a fish, this is handy ... come back to the buoy when done, pick up your line and cleat it up again.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 05:18:31 PM »
Rbob - what kind of hardware did you use for your cleats? I would like to use your method to overdrill/epoxy fill to protect the core, but I can't really find any countersunk head bolts.. only screws. Do you have a link to what you used?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:08:36 PM »
I order onesy twosies and boxes full of stuff from Mcmaster Carr, they have anything and everything.

HTH

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 08:48:50 PM »
I order onesy twosies and boxes full of stuff from Mcmaster Carr, they have anything and everything.

HTH

Ah yes, that's what I am looking for. Thanks Todd!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
Rbob - what kind of hardware did you use for your cleats? I would like to use your method to overdrill/epoxy fill to protect the core, but I can't really find any countersunk head bolts.. only screws. Do you have a link to what you used?

I pretty sure I went to Tacoma Screw and got oval head stainless steel that fit the cleats.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 08:23:19 AM »

I pretty sure I went to Tacoma Screw and got oval head stainless steel that fit the cleats.

TY - oval head ss did the trick...