Author Topic: 13 Bananas New Jersey Kodiak  (Read 9442 times)

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
13 Bananas New Jersey Kodiak
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
13 Bananas is what we're naming this Kodiak.  I'm not sure it will stick...

It all started last summer on an Atlantic fishing trip in my 27' Tolman Jumbo.  Jake brought some bananas on this trip and stowed them away in the top shelf of the coffin box.  Short story is he did eat the bananas and we still caught tuna.  We all had a great time and talked a great deal about building his GA Kodiak. 

I finished another 24' Jumbo late last summer and am all geared up to build Jake's Kodiak now.  The boat barn was only 16 X 32 and worked fine for smaller boats, but cramped up a little when building the shelf, chines, bottom panels, etc.  And once assembly started, there wasn't anywhere out of the weather to cut or build other parts.  So, we added a 19' X 24' addition.

I'm in the material gathering phase now.  The 30 gallons of ebond epoxy arrived Monday and today I ordered $3000 worth of fillers and e glass.  I'm picking up about 50 sheets of fir ply and mdo tomorrow.  The Jig is already built so I should be making sawdust on Friday.  I'm recently retired (lol) and will be building this one pretty much full time.  Hopefully it will be finished this time next year for tuna season!

--dave

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Bananas New Jersey Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 07:44:59 PM »
My first question for you Brian:  I noticed the addendum says the shelves are built at 5 1/2"W on the kodiak and the GA is 5"W.  I'm just going to assume I need to add that 1/2" to the outer edge on the lofting table from sheet 002c.  We all know about assuming haha.  So, I'll just hang out and work on the stem or transom until I hear from you.

--dave

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 07:22:52 AM »
My first question for you Brian:  I noticed the addendum says the shelves are built at 5 1/2"W on the kodiak and the GA is 5"W.  I'm just going to assume I need to add that 1/2" to the outer edge on the lofting table from sheet 002c.  We all know about assuming haha.  So, I'll just hang out and work on the stem or transom until I hear from you.

--dave

DAVE - The way it works when building the Kodiak is this:  Before building any particular piece of the boat, read the standard Great Alaskan stuff (manuals, drawings) and understand them.  THEN read the Kodiak Addendum ... the Kodiak Addendum lists EXCEPTIONS to the standard instructions in order to produce the larger boat.  For your shelves, mentioned above, there is a drawing (A002) in the Kodiak addendum that replaces the standard drawing (002c).  The transom is also MUCH different, and larger, etc etc.  Don't cut wood until you've checked the Kodiak Addendum for necessary changes as compared to the standard boat ... you don't want to sit in the moaning chair, right?  :D

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 07:27:17 AM »

Back in the day, I was Alaska's best salmon netter ... I got LOTS of netting practice while my friends caught ALL the fish (including Chuck the 'banana eater' who was never without and caught tons of fish).  I caught none!  Then I learned about the extreme (EXTREME) sensitivity of a salmon's nose ... started washing my hands and terminal gear with Lemon Joy, rinsed well and let dry, then rubbed Anise Oil into my hands before I ever baited up or put line in the water.  What a difference!  Suddenly I was catching just as many as everyone else ... and even enjoyed a banana or three in my lunch :)
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 05:08:43 PM »

--dave

Thanks Brian.  No moaning chair in my boat barn.  lol

I printed the manuals out separately a few months ago and put them in nice binders with tabs.  (I didn't label the tabs yet)  I missed the separate lofting sheets in the addendum notebook.  All good now and thanks for clearing my head.

--dave

DAVE - The way it works when building the Kodiak is this:  Before building any particular piece of the boat, read the standard Great Alaskan stuff (manuals, drawings) and understand them.  THEN read the Kodiak Addendum ... the Kodiak Addendum lists EXCEPTIONS to the standard instructions in order to produce the larger boat.  For your shelves, mentioned above, there is a drawing (A002) in the Kodiak addendum that replaces the standard drawing (002c).  The transom is also MUCH different, and larger, etc etc.  Don't cut wood until you've checked the Kodiak Addendum for necessary changes as compared to the standard boat ... you don't want to sit in the moaning chair, right?  :D

Brian

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 06:25:41 AM »

No problem!  It's a LOT of info to absorb all at once.  I always tell people to crash through reading the manuals and examining the drawings fast, and to understand each ... then expect to forget half of it and to read each applicable section again as you go.  The first read breaks new ground in your brain, and on the second read (while building), it'll be a lot more familiar and easier to figure out.

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 10:49:20 AM »
I've probably missed a correction somewhere, but can't find a good number for the lofting of the bottom panels at 30".  Sheet 006C 30" lofting has a typo or something...  looks like 26" and 2 9/16 or maybe 2 5/8".

Getting ready to loft the front panel and will see which number makes it more fair.

--dave

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 01:01:42 PM »
I've probably missed a correction somewhere, but can't find a good number for the lofting of the bottom panels at 30".  Sheet 006C 30" lofting has a typo or something...  looks like 26" and 2 9/16 or maybe 2 5/8".

Getting ready to loft the front panel and will see which number makes it more fair.

--dave
26 9/16" is your number for bottom panel lofting at 30"
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 06:04:03 AM »

--dave
26 9/16" is your number for bottom panel lofting at 30"

Good catch!  I didn't realize the drawing has scrunched up numbers like that!  Here's the loftings, un-scrunched!  (I'll get the drawing uploaded sometime today - you'll know it by the updated date at the website).  Top is chine lofting, bottom is fairbody lofting:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:05:47 AM by Brian.Dixon »

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 07:29:40 AM »
Thanks guys!

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
A little progress on the Kodiak.  Pics or it didn't happen, right?

Since this big bottom girl will have an euro type rear end, I built a transom similar to a stern drive.  It's 2 layers of 3/4" fir and 1 layer of 1/2" mdo fir.  The transom area is supposed to have a fish hold or maybe an aerator.  Then a 28" pod to mount a couple of 150 merc 4 strokes.

The shelves and stem are built.  4 halves of the bottom panels are curing, and the 2X12 stringers arrived today.  The stringers are lvls and have a wax treatment on them.  Have to get the planer back out :)

--dave

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 04:17:19 PM »

You're planning on extending bottom panels and stringers for the Euro transom that'll carry those 150s, right?  How long will your Kodiak be, including the aft bottom extension?

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »

You're planning on extending bottom panels and stringers for the Euro transom that'll carry those 150s, right?  How long will your Kodiak be, including the aft bottom extension?

My plan was to leave the bottom all one level, but was outvoted.  OAL will be 34' including the extension which will be 28 inches minimum so the motors fully go up.  The extension will be stepped up, but the stringers will continue through.  I have the appropriate moaning chair for Jake if there are any ill effects like porpoising. 

Bottom panels are curing and will be lofting and cutting out chines on Thursday.  The fellas are coming down this weekend for a work day.  If they work hard, maybe I'll take them out fishing on Saturday :)

--dave

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »

Well ... you're officially on the naughty list now!  That's 4 feet beyond recommended and I also don't recommend the 'lift out of the water' style (aka Armstrong) brackets.  It'll be interesting to see how the boat turns out.  Make sure you build heavy.  (You been drinking with Dave again?)  :D  Love the moaning chair ... hope you don't need it!

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 07:44:42 PM »

Well ... you're officially on the naughty list now!  That's 4 feet beyond recommended and I also don't recommend the 'lift out of the water' style (aka Armstrong) brackets.  It'll be interesting to see how the boat turns out.  Make sure you build heavy.  (You been drinking with Dave again?)  :D  Love the moaning chair ... hope you don't need it!

LOL.  Dave was one of the (aka Armstrong) bracket yes votes.  Theory is this is a 31' 6" boat on plane with the bracket out of the water.  We'll see if there are any ill effects.  I'm not worried about the chines walking...  only porpoising.    I believe your design wouldn't porpoise until the low 40's at 31' 6".  (Even if it would!)  I'm hoping for the best, but always have the moaning chair for backup.

--dave