Author Topic: Mounting kicker to transom  (Read 1595 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Mounting kicker to transom
« on: July 22, 2021, 10:26:12 PM »
Brian, should the kicker climb the hull 5/16” per 6” of offset?  Provided shaft length is the same. This is the prescribed number for offsetting the main.
Thank you

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Mounting kicker to transom
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 09:24:10 AM »

Good question.  Technically ... you could do that.  But if the kicker runs a little deep, who cares?  At the speeds which the kicker will drive you, there's virtually no change in performance either way.  Not so with an offset main, but the kicker is no biggy.  I'd lean towards doing whatever's easiest for linking the main and kicker for steerage and call it good.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 11:35:29 AM »
Ok.  I want it to get what it needs without dragging behind the Boat while on plane.  Your answer helps.  Thank you

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 05:20:03 PM »
Ok.  I want it to get what it needs without dragging behind the Boat while on plane.  Your answer helps.  Thank you

It's OK to mount it higher as though it were a main... or use a kicker bracket that scissors up to raise the kicker out of the water.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 09:23:04 PM »
I laid out location for the kicker.   I pulled off of it with questions.  Using the 5/16” per 6” of offset rule.  It put the cavitation plate 3 1/2” below the transom and at 16” behind the aft surface of the transom I’m wondering if it’s too deep?

Brian, when you say it’s ok to mount kicker as if it is a main, do you mean cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull.  I think this would be ideal as I would like the height when the motor is trimmed up. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 09:15:27 AM »
I laid out location for the kicker.   I pulled off of it with questions.  Using the 5/16” per 6” of offset rule.  It put the cavitation plate 3 1/2” below the transom and at 16” behind the aft surface of the transom I’m wondering if it’s too deep?

Brian, when you say it’s ok to mount kicker as if it is a main, do you mean cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull.  I think this would be ideal as I would like the height when the motor is trimmed up.

Yes, the main issue is that you keep water moving through the motor's cooling system.  Keep in mind that a kicker is more forgiving of how deep it is because a) you will not be on plane when using it so the waterline that you have to stay under is higher, and b) running too deep doesn't matter because at the speed the kicker moves you, the difference in resistance (drag through the water) is very little.  Kickers, IMHO, are best mounted a little high, or use a scissor-arm or adjustable bracket, so you can more easily raise then out of the water when running on the main ... don't need a second rooster tail back there, do ya?  :D

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 07:30:03 PM »
Ya the spare prop stirring the water is dumb.  I ended up putting the cavitation plate level back with the bottom of the hull.   It is considerably higher than the main. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 06:42:40 AM »
Ya the spare prop stirring the water is dumb.  I ended up putting the cavitation plate level back with the bottom of the hull.   It is considerably higher than the main.

You'll see when it's on the water that the kicker is fine in terms of depth ... if not, tweak it!