Author Topic: Wheelhouse Finishes With Hull Liner  (Read 3077 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Wheelhouse Finishes With Hull Liner
« on: May 07, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »
Originally I was going to sand and paint everything that wasn't clear finished mahogany. But now I am thinking about using some hull liner in select areas that would save a lot of time prepping for a nice paint job. Problem is I know nothing about the pros and cons after install how it holds up in the long term and what problems if any to look for. I see this stuff all the time on other factory built boats. I'm thinking of using the hull liner on the upper side/window walls and the windshield frames. Maybe the roof which will have a bit of mahogany framing. All cabinet boxes will be painted with mahogany door/drawer faces. Both bulkhead faces will be panted as well as the helm.
I am curious as to how others are finishing their wheelhouse interior? Anyone have any pros & cons about Hull Liner
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Wheelhouse Finishes With Hull Liner
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 11:44:09 AM »
Do you have a specific product in mind?  is the hull liner similar to what we used to call zolotone, or at least similar in appearance?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 02:09:08 PM »
Dont do the Hull Liner, it will save too much time, look great and the rest of us will have boat envy!

They have different colors but this may be the stuff:

https://www.yourautotrim.com/sabemahu.html?msclkid=f4d50e4fe8ab1fbf4b316eda76b81d5d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shop%20All%20ID%27s%20DT%2FTab%2FMobile&utm_term=4587093795446382&utm_content=All%20ID%27s
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 07:43:57 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 02:25:26 PM »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 03:45:16 PM »
Thats way better, how did you do that?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 04:35:31 PM »

Not sure how to type it without turning into a real link, so a pic is attached.  Note where the actual url is and where the link name/text is:

Defending the Republic!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
Its all about the brackets.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:00:30 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 10:01:11 PM »
Do you have a specific product in mind?  is the hull liner similar to what we used to call zolotone, or at least similar in appearance?

I feel kinda silly after seeing what this stuff is.  I think someone recently did this as you described.  It looked good.  I wonder if we needed to let the window guys know we would like to use this?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 07:14:52 PM »
Dont do the Hull Liner, it will save too much time, look great and the rest of us will have boat envy!

They have different colors but this may be the stuff:

][https://www.yourautotrim.com/sabemahu.html?msclkid=f4d50e4fe8ab1fbf4b316eda76b81d5d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shop%20All%20ID%27s%20DT%2FTab%2FMobile&utm_term=4587093795446382&utm_content=All%20ID%27s[/b]

Try this link: Hull Liner
yep something just like that. I haven't done my research yet mbut will very soon. i have been moving to a different house the last week.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 07:18:54 PM »

I feel kinda silly after seeing what this stuff is.  I think someone recently did this as you described.  It looked good.  I wonder if we needed to let the window guys know we would like to use this?
I think they have from fairly thin single ply to foam backed. They suggest a 3-M spray glue which i am sure holds well. I just wonder if there would be any issues down the road with the moister between the liner and the ply in the glue joint
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
I have been under the impression that fiber glassed, 3 coats of epoxy, covered ply would be impervious to moisture.  That being said, no telling what could grow on the outermost layer of cured epoxy and 3m.  I think the hull liner would add a warmth and sound deadening quality that would make it worth while. 
  My Wallas needs to run once a month, that would help dry the house and cuddy.  We have used Dry z air products in the camper.  This should help in the boat too.  Mine will live outside.

BTW it was Djeffrey in Pagosa Springs, Co. that I was thinking of.  Looks like he used the grey hull liner in the house everywhere he had windows as you described.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 01:06:35 PM »

I've never heard of any rot or moisture related issues with hull liner ... except on boats with unrepaired cracks and leaks that let the rain in, and even then, it's more of a mildew issue ... not wood rot or anything similar.  People that have the hull liner love it.  As for keeping the boat dry inside, including during storage, that's a good idea for ALL boats, liner or not.  I would not hesitate to use hull liner.  I wouldn't clamp a window frame onto it though.  Better to have window frames clamping the wood itself ... better seal.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 04:31:36 PM »
I have been under the impression that fiber glassed, 3 coats of epoxy, covered ply would be impervious to moisture.  That being said, no telling what could grow on the outermost layer of cured epoxy and 3m.  I think the hull liner would add a warmth and sound deadening quality that would make it worth while. 
  My Wallas needs to run once a month, that would help dry the house and cuddy.  We have used Dry z air products in the camper.  This should help in the boat too.  Mine will live outside.

BTW it was Djeffrey in Pagosa Springs, Co. that I was thinking of.  Looks like he used the grey hull liner in the house everywhere he had windows as you described.
Thanks!  I will have to go back and look through his thread closer. I wasn't clear enough in my post, my only concern is what may happen between the epoxy and the 3mm as you say. I'm not worried about the epoxy failing.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 08:15:27 PM »

I've never heard of any rot or moisture related issues with hull liner ... except on boats with unrepaired cracks and leaks that let the rain in, and even then, it's more of a mildew issue ... not wood rot or anything similar.  People that have the hull liner love it.  As for keeping the boat dry inside, including during storage, that's a good idea for ALL boats, liner or not.  I would not hesitate to use hull liner.  I wouldn't clamp a window frame onto it though.  Better to have window frames clamping the wood itself ... better seal.

Clamping over the hull liner sure would look clean.   It wouldn’t have occurred  to me that it could be a problem for the window seal.  Then again, I have no idea how the windows seal

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 05:55:25 AM »

Clamping over the hull liner sure would look clean.   It wouldn’t have occurred  to me that it could be a problem for the window seal.  Then again, I have no idea how the windows seal

Different manufacturers are different ... I would say that if the caulk is on the exterior face, that clamping over the hull liner on the interior should be fine, no?  Maybe it's a non-issue, but I just wouldn't want rain and spray getting past the window to the hull liner.  Probably a non-issue...