Author Topic: 140 HP on my Kodiak  (Read 2243 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
140 HP on my Kodiak
« on: June 07, 2021, 05:42:37 PM »
So I called today to check on the pair of Suzuki 140hp I ordered a good 3 months ago. The counter rotating motor has come in. I can't get an answer on the other motor arrival status as of yet, still waiting to hear from the Suki rep. I talked with the marine shop today to ask if they could rig up just the single port-side motor (counter rotating) and run on it only in a worse case scenario. Sounds like he can do it with out much trouble. I'm pretty sure a single 140 would get my GA up on plane maybe get 20-25mph?. Might be a bit sluggish going up some steep swells but I think it would be doable.
I'm looking for any pros and cons on the idea!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 140 HP on my Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 08:55:41 PM »
If it does not come in you could order a couple of these:

It would be totally cool!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:56:21 PM by Rbob »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 10:35:39 PM »

lol... I saw a few of those 425's up close when I was picking up my motor - those things are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge...

For the single 140, is this in lieu of both coming in by the time you are ready to splash it? IMO idk why not? If everything else is a go, run a single until the other one comes in. You will know quick enough if it's gonna cut it or not. Would sort of be the same scenario as limping in when one motor quit on you, except the second motor would be missing and it would probably look kinda funny. I don't think I would take an underpowered boat into a crazy scenario like a bar crossing but to puts around and fish a bit I don't see why not. I am also not sure what the break in period of those are, I assume similar to yamaha so you would have to do that twice (yamaha has 10 hours at various limitations or stated rev periods). It's cool that that's an option for you. I am waiting on all my rigging and as of now I don't have any firm dates for any of it really. I have the control in hand but all the digital steering and helm and various cables are MIA for the time being. So I am SOL until all that stuff finds its way into town, even with my power sitting 5 feet away from the boat.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 06:59:12 AM »

The single, even mounted where it would go for twins, will get you around.  It may cavitate the prop a bit on hard right turns, but you can lower the motor an inch to fudge things a little ... tune height after the 2nd motor comes in.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 10:12:01 AM »

I would have a BAD A** BOAT for sure!!! :)
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »

I don't think I would take an underpowered boat into a crazy scenario like a bar crossing but to puts around and fish a bit I don't see why not.
Where I fish every trip incudes a bar crossing both ways :) I would pick my days not to include fowl weather days until i had a chance to see what it would do with a single 140
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 10:18:18 AM »

The single, even mounted where it would go for twins, will get you around.  It may cavitate the prop a bit on hard right turns, but you can lower the motor an inch to fudge things a little ... tune height after the 2nd motor comes in.
That's is exactly what I thought and wanted to hear!!!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »

Off-center mains are not common except in the Tolman world ... Tolman owners have done it for decades...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 05:11:20 PM »

Off-center mains are not common except in the Tolman world ... Tolman owners have done it for decades...
I think the single would get you around as you say, being offset should make much difference.
I made my appointment for July 8th. for install. Waiting to here back conformation on the date, hopefully the other motor will come in by then. I had to pull the trigger on annual morrage at South Beach in Newport as a 40 foot downwind slip became available. So I hope the slip is not vacant more than 4-6 weeks. The waiting list is long in Newport so I had to take it.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 05:33:14 PM »
I thought the new suzukis were digital counter rotate-able.  Maybe its just a 250-300 class, might be worth a second look.  I saw it my brochure, Im sure of it

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
I thought the new suzukis were digital counter rotate-able.  Maybe its just a 250-300 class, might be worth a second look.  I saw it my brochure, Im sure of it
I'm not sure if it matters but I ordered mechanical controls, I like having to feel resistance when I move my throttles.   
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
I will look at my literature when I get to the house and report back.  Not relevant in your case Chuck, but here is the bit.  It sounds pretty cool
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:36:08 PM by Todd j »

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 05:18:49 AM »
I will look at my literature when I get to the house and report back.  Not relevant in your case Chuck, but here is the bit.  It sounds pretty cool
Wow what a good idea! thanks for the info Todd
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021