Author Topic: Auto pilot  (Read 2510 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Auto pilot
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »
I am looking to add auto pilot to my GA. Was looking at this set up, I have a Garmin 943 chartplotter. Any thoughts? Is this a complete set up?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Auto pilot
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:27:08 AM »
Are you putting it on your main or the kicker? I have the Garmin 40Reactor on my 9.9 yami on my Tolman WideBody works great. I am definitely putting one on my twins I with with the Garmin 1242 SXV with Fantom radar should actually be here today!!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 12:03:27 PM »
I use autopilot on longer passages occasionally - it's really handy. No comment on the Garmin equipment as I'm all Simrad, but it's very important to have a high-quality GPS compass installed in the proper location, and also very important to take a bunch of time doing circles and figure-8s and whatnot to get everything calibrated once it's all installed. Enjoy!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 04:46:58 PM »
I use autopilot on longer passages occasionally - it's really handy. No comment on the Garmin equipment as I'm all Simrad, but it's very important to have a high-quality GPS compass installed in the proper location, and also very important to take a bunch of time doing circles and figure-8s and whatnot to get everything calibrated once it's all installed. Enjoy!
I'll admit I am a Garmin fan, I have used all kinds of their GPS units from handheld Rino to full blown Garmin 520 IFR approach certified GPS in the plane I flew for years. Simrad has great stuff no questions about it, I tend to stick with what treats me well. Couldn't agree more on the compass and need to verify the functions. I'll be having the shop that's doing my motors tie it all together since they are Garmin dealers also.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 05:30:38 PM »
Grady I am putting it on my main. Is this kit missing anything?

Dan, I noticed that antenna, does that plug right into your chartplotter?

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 09:09:10 PM »
You are thinking about the compact reactor 40 correct?

Read the fine print on the compact, I don't think it's the right autopilot for Tolmans/ Great Alaskans

¹Not recommended for fishing or applications that require holding heading while trolling at low speeds or operating in rough waters. For applications that require precise heading control, our higher-performance Reactor 40 models are recommended. Compact Reactor uses a gear pump design with limited performance relative to similar flow piston pumps. Not recommended for power assist installs, engines above 150 horsepower, or boats with more than 12 degree deadrise. Mount pump within 6 feet of the steering cylinder for best results.
²Requires echoMAP™ CHIRP 5x/7x/9x chartplotter/sonar combos; ECHOMAP Plus 6x/7x/9x chartplotter/sonar combo; GPSMAP® chartplotter series 7200/7400/7600/8000/8200/8400/8500/8600; or GPSMAP chartplotter/sonar combo series 7x2/9x2/10x2/12x2
³Auto Guidance is for planning purposes only and does not replace safe navigation operations.

I ordered a Reactor 40 with GHC 20 (separate display) and a 1.2L Pump for my Tolman.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/599938#overview

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-00705-64

I wanted the separate display since I only ordered a 7" main display and it's a lot easier to hit an actual button instead of a touch screen in rough seas. The 1.2L pump is sized right for a single seastar ram. I wasn't sold on the shadow drive though it's included with the Reactor 40 so we'll see how it works, I can see it being nice when there's junk in the water. Unfortunately my boat is still in progress and not in the water so I have no real world experience yet.

As far a gps antenna is concerned Garmin said I didn't need one for their GPS/ Auto pilot though it will help reception in narrow inlets and allow for faster updates. If you want the heading function to work with their Radar you need a 24XD antenna, it's a NMEA 2000 antenna so it will plug into your NMEA network and talk to the rest of your electronics in the network.

I ordered from BOE marine, they were awesome to deal with and answered all my questions I'd give them a call before ordering the compact. They had the auto pilot, pump gps antenna, and chart plotter in stock. My transducer and radar were back ordered, I order March 31st and my Radar shipped Tuesday, the rest is all ready at my house. They said to backorder parts from them because with the current demand they will never show in stock and will be sold before they arrive so you need to get in line.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 08:18:44 AM »
Thank barrelrole, I went back and read the dicscrption and the only thing I noticed was may not work well at slow trolling speed. Was there anything else that concerned you. Many thanks

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 05:16:10 PM »
Thank barrelrole, I went back and read the dicscrption and the only thing I noticed was may not work well at slow trolling speed. Was there anything else that concerned you. Many thanks

The description also says not recommended for boats more than 25', 150hp, or more than 12 degree deadrise (I can't remember what a GA is).

I'd recommend a call to BOE and Garmin to ask about it, both companies are great on the phone. With BOE I might mention the regular 40 is out of your budget though you could swing the compact and see what they say.

I couldn't find anyone saying they actually had used a compact reactor 40 and it worked great for them in a similar application to mine. I wasn't willing to gamble on the compact with Garmin saying in the fine print it wasn't right for my application and then needing to upgrade. I'll admit I never actually called Garmin, just said screw it and spent the extra money.

I was concerned about the not recommended for rough waters part and also the fishing part. A big reason for getting it was to get rid of 1 thing to worry about (keeping the boat strait/ on course) so we could pay attention to junk in the water and not have to constantly fight the boat with our wind, large tides, and strong currents. I'm thinking in those situations it will be working pretty hard and the larger pump and I believe the brain box is different between the 2.

This might all be marketing hype to get extra money out of me and I fell for it. If you end up with the compact I'm interested to see how it works.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
Thank you. I will give your guys a call. You don’t have a number by chance?

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 12:19:24 AM »
Thank you. I will give your guys a call. You don’t have a number by chance?

https://www.boemarine.com/ Jim is the guru there though everyone should be able to answer questions. I bought all of my Garmin stuff through them.

A real life person answers the phone at Garmin, the last person I talked to said they would also return e-mails within 48 hours. Plan on being on hold for 20 minutes to an hour though you will get a person fluent in English who knows Garmin products on the line.

Here's the Garmin number, it's a bit of a scavenger hunt to find it on their website.

You can call our team Monday through Friday, between 7am - 7pm Central Time, and navigate the product menu to get to a person: (US Toll Free) 800-800-1020

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 09:56:03 PM »
I know this is a way old thread, but this autopilot system is the bomb!!  I absolutely love it. It has taken me from my fishing grounds, over the bar and into the marina with only throttle adjustments.   It’s truly amazing!
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Brands/Garmin-GPS-Marine-Electronics/Garmin-Reactor-40-Hydraulic-Corepack-with-SmartPump-v2

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 11:34:20 PM »
Thanks for posting this Todd.  Do you use your autopilot for trolling?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 02:44:15 PM »
I have not tried it yet.  But I have tested very briefly at trolling speed using my kicker.  It is linked to the main by tie bar.  The auto pilot is very active at low speeds.  Reminds me of the tr2.  I suspect at tuna troll speeds it would work very nicely, but I haven’t tried it.  If it is in the budget it is absolutely worth it.  I love just tapping the 12” screen to move the cursor and hit “engage”. It takes you there without touching the steering.  You can however take control of the wheel at any time and steer around obstacles.  It