Author Topic: Epoxy shortage  (Read 2204 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Epoxy shortage
« on: June 23, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »
For those of you using Ebond.  They, so I assume other brands too?  Are experiencing a world wide shortage issues due to multiple plant closures/fires both here and abroad.  They are as many as 6 weeks out for some orders.  They had just mixed up a batch of the 1285 so I feel like I kinda got lucky.  This should be the last order I make.  Their prices are steadily creeping up too. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:39:33 PM by Todd j »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Epoxy shortage
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Todd. I just got in line, sounds like the soonest that my order will be filled is late July to early August. I was iffy about if I could get my boat on the water with what I have left but... At some point I am probably going to need more glue so better safe than sorry I guess. Also, just so people know (I have been wondering but finally found out) 5 gallon buckets of resin and hardener from ebond are $195/ea. They used to be around $120ish.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:14:54 PM by json »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
I was thinking the per gallon price nearly doubled since I got my first bucket, But I'm not entirely sure what i paid for the first load.  Lucky for me they had mine in stock and will ship it tomorrow.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 02:46:05 PM »
I ordered another 6 gal kit of Aero Marine last week it shipped the next day.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 07:48:45 PM »
Maybe Ebond is the only seller/manufacturer affected.   They made it sound like it was industry wide.   Glad there is still stuff available

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 07:33:25 AM »
Maybe Ebond is the only seller/manufacturer affected.   They made it sound like it was industry wide.   Glad there is still stuff available

The shortage could be industry-wide, but the other companies have more in the warehouse .... buy while you can!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »
The last batch I bought was made the same day according to the salesman.  I’m really hoping this is it for me

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 09:57:10 PM »
I ordered 6 gallons of Raka 2 weeks ago and it shipped right away though the hardener showed up and 3 days later the resin showed up. Both according to tracking numbers shipped the same day from Florida so I'm guessing it's the USPS, it's not the first time they've done this.

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 07:57:16 AM »
Good morning,
And boy, prices have really crept up. Can anyone here give me some feedback on Raka epoxy? I have used System 3 in the past but my suppliers price has really gone up. 1,220.00/15 gallons. This will be used for the hull. Any other brand/supplier recommendations are much appreciated.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »
Ebond out of florida has 5 gallon buckets for $195, so a 15 gallon kit of 1285 A/B is under $585, plus freight (which, for me on the left coast is about $200 or so, maybe a little less). Unfortunately with them right now it's going to take a month or more to get an order filled. I have never used Raka but have heard good things about it.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 04:51:43 PM »
I have had good results with Ebond as well.   1285 resin and hardener.  I bought lots of the 5 gallon buckets early on.  I much prefer the the 1 gallon containers since im mostly done with the superstructure.  Easy to pour!

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 07:16:34 PM »
I have been using RAKA on my boat with good results. Check out the website they have kits in various gallon sizes. Give them a call they are always helpful.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »
I’ve been trying to buy another squirt of epoxy for 3 weeks.  Today I did get some more.  It is the slower curing hardener, which I’m not excited about going into fall with temps decreasing.  It was the only hardener they had