Author Topic: sizing kicker motor  (Read 208 times)

Grady300

• Lt. Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: sizing kicker motor
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 07:16:44 AM »

The main downside, in my way of thinking, of having an overly-large kicker is if you need it for really slow trolling ... king salmon, Kokanee, etc.  If you prop it for a slow troll, it'll go slower at WOT too.  With today's fuel-inject 2-strokes and high efficiency 4-strokes, many choose to troll with the main ... it all depends I guess.  Trade-offs...
The money it cost for a kicker you can put toward the extra 5k it cost for twin main motors. In the end you get awesome backup power with twin main motors, looks better, way safer IMHO and is just plain badass.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

ghelland

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »
When I was a kid we had a trolling plate on an inboard.  It worked great.  If I need one, I will add one to my twins.

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 05:59:33 PM »
I couldn't find a pair of motors that would stay within the weight limit for the transom, although the suzuki 140s come close. The yamaha I bought is 560 lbs, so adding a 15 hp ish kicker would put me at well under 700 lbs, which hopefully will help the boat trim better. I think when I do get a kicker I will probably have a spare higher pitched prop on the boat that will help me achieve a little better speed getting back in the event of an emergency.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:51:16 PM by json »