Author Topic: Electronics. Too many choices  (Read 41 times)

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
Electronics. Too many choices
« on: July 18, 2021, 12:38:15 AM »
The best Iíve done so far is choose garmin.  Iíve been using lowrance hds stuff.  I want a local dealer/installer.  It happens that the shop where I bought the Suzukis is my garmin dealer. 
  So far I have the garmin autopilot for the main.  I think Iíve settled on the 1242 for a finder/plotter.  I will view the radar there as well.  Iím considering an iPad as a second screen to move about the boat as needed. 
  Does anyone have recommendations for a radome and transducer.  Iím getting crazy looking at all this stuff

Grady300

• Lt. Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Electronics. Too many choices
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 06:25:25 AM »
The best Iíve done so far is choose garmin.  Iíve been using lowrance hds stuff.  I want a local dealer/installer.  It happens that the shop where I bought the Suzukis is my garmin dealer. 
  So far I have the garmin autopilot for the main.  I think Iíve settled on the 1242 for a finder/plotter.  I will view the radar there as well.  Iím considering an iPad as a second screen to move about the boat as needed. 
  Does anyone have recommendations for a radome and transducer.  Iím getting crazy looking at all this stuff
I'm going with the same Garmin 1242, I got the Fantom radar dome
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
Did you find a package?  Or source separately.  Is there a model number for the radome you could share?   What if anything are you doing for a transducer?

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 02:52:24 PM »
I went with the garmin 1243xsv, with an airmar 1k watt b175hw through hull transducer. I considered the 8616xsv but decided for now that I am happy only running the single transducer and 12" is enough screen for me. I am going to add radar and expand the system as I go once the boat is in the water, and it seems like that's easy with the garmin networking protocols. I am tempted to get a sidevu transducer to play with that some but for now I think that is going to be on hold. My 1243xsv also came with a rebate and free bluechart and lakev maps (I think a july promo or something).

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 05:58:23 PM »
Thanks Iíll check it out