Author Topic: The Inside Passage (Trip of a Life Time)  (Read 168 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
The Inside Passage (Trip of a Life Time)
« on: November 19, 2021, 03:22:45 PM »
For years I have been wanting to do the inside passage, one of my Bucket List items!!! I finally have a boat that was designed for this very type of trip. Just the fuel savings alone in a GA Kodiak Vrs some manufactured glass or aluminium boat in the same class will save me almost $4000. Not to mention the hours of wear & tear on my outboards will only cost me half as much since I'm only running half the HP of the big heavy boats.

Any Words of Wisdom for the trip Please Chime IN!! I have been reading The Wagner book that has a ton of good info in it for some of the problem areas along the way. I also have some other books and charts for more precise navigation. I'm planing to do more of the site seeing and fun (longer) stops on the way up. So I will plan my route this winter while I have plenty of time. This will take a lot of planing and reading all the do's & don'ts along the way for each stop. I plan on pre-programming my chart plotter with all of my intended stops, as much as possible.
My trip back will be more direct with fewer stops. I'm soooo looking forward to this trip. If anyone has the time and wants to buddy boat all or part of the trip let me know. I haven't decided yet if this will be a guys trip for me ( currently have lots of volunteers) or bring my favorite lady along. Just need to find that special lady that loves this kind of stuff as much as I do!!!! Hope that electric flush toilet wasn't installed in vain'''lol
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:26:30 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Inside Passage (Trip of a Life Time)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 05:29:27 PM »
I'm in Juneau though only been here for 2 seasons so there's a lot we haven't seen and have been using a 17' alumaweld so we were somewhat limited.

When are you planning on coming? We are planning on a loop from Juneau some time this coming summer.

Glaciers: Take a wooden boat back to them at your own risk, it's like driving though ice water when you get close to the face. Some of the bergs are so big they move my 17' alumaweld around. We've been to Tracy arm and Laconte, my wife likes Tracy Arm better. You can see Taku glacier from Taku inlet.

We fish AK Maps have some good hints on where to fish for Salmon and Halibut. If you zoom in the forest service cabins, roads, trails, ect. show up on it so it's just got for fishing. We've discovered a lot of stuff from the maps http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=FishingSportFishAK.gofishak

Juneau has 2 downtown harbors Aurora (on the Juneau side) and South Douglas across the Gastineau Channel and Stater harbor in Auke Bay, don't try and go around the east side of Douglas to get to Auke Bay unless you like gambling with tidal flats. We like Stater harbor better, grocery stores might be closer down town though it's a quick ride from Auke Bay to safeway, fred Meyer, Sportsmans Warehouse, Western Auto Marine (boat parts, fishing gear, hardware), home depot. The gas station above Stater harbor DeHarts has a decent bait shop. There's a Suzuki dealer in Juneau, I have a motor on order from him though I'm not sure I'll order another from him.

I'll type some more later.

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »
Thinking of doing that myself next year. Taking the wife one way, then flying her home from ?????. Where did you find the north map of inside passage. Been trying to get that for over a year. When are you thinking of departing?

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »
This is on my bucket list too.   It would be super awesome not to have to do it all alone.  My wife won’t go.  I have basically endless amounts of time for such a trip now.  My boat seems to bE taking longer to finish than i expected.  Please keep us posted on your plans/progress

Lindy

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 08:07:18 PM »
For all traveling north to Juneau, I have an extra car, laundry, lots of space including a studio above my shop for all Great Alaskan builders to use for free. Also, know the local water's well, having been here for 30 years. If your travel plans include Juneau let me know, I live 1 mile from Auke Bay Harbor. Would recommend Don Douglas's book on exploring Southeast Alaska as a cruising guide, he also has one for the southern part of the inside passage. Awaiting my kit from West Coast Boat Works and will begin my build once it arrives. I am sure I will be leaning on all of you to help me with my build.

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
I'm glad Lindy chimed in. He knows the area a lot better than I do and is a wealth of knowledge.

I Also have a spare vehicle/ truck if Lindy's is in use. I've got a bunch of mechanical tools, a little bit of mechanical know how/ can cobble most things together, and a large collection of pretty organized junk like fasteners, boat parts, epoxy and other boat building junk. If I'm out at work my wife would gladly let you into the shop/ help you out.

There's a bunch of USFS and state park cabins all the way up the inside passage if you want a night off your boat. Some are more popular than others and I believe they are released 6 months out. They are a step above a tent though don't have running water or a kitchen. Most require a dinghy. The 3 semi close to Juneau with float docks are 8 fathom (about a 1/2 mile walk to the dock) near Hoonah, Kennel Creek between Tenekee Springs and Hoonah, and Tauku Harbor about 20 miles south of Juneau. 8 fathom is really nice, Taku isn't bad though the harbor can be busy, and I've never been to Kennel Creek.

There's some public float docks though not a ton. Swanson harbor has one and is roughly half way in between Hoonah and Juneau. The Swanson harbor area is our go to day trip area for halibut.

My understanding of our bag limits are X per day, X in possession, if it's packaged and frozen it doesn't count. Almost every town has a place that will package, freeze, and ship your fish to the Lower 48. Halibut and rockfish are in season all summer, salmon is really going to depend on the area. I think we are done attempting to salmon fish in Juneau before the end of June, non resident King salmon fishing was shut down last summer. Dunginess crab are everywhere, non resident limits are pretty generous. If you like crab bring a pot or 2.

Juneau is the biggest town in southeast and a good spot to plan a couple day resupply. You are going to want a car to get around. There's some stuff in walking distance of Aurora harbor though I'm not sure how much room there is for transient boats. If you do end up down town Harri plumbing is actually a really good boat parts and tackle shop. There's a costco many boats stock up at. Auke bay cafe has good breakfast across the parking lot from Stater harbor.

We've been down to Petersburg and really liked the time we spent there. It's a small fishing town and nowhere near as touristy as some places, it doesn't fit large cruise ships. The harbor is huge, really nice, and full of commercial fishermen. The Mexican restaurant is the best we've had in Alaska. Their hardware store stocks a lot of boat junk as well with more up stairs if you ask. Almost everything is walking distance from the harbors. The Wrangell narrows are a neat stretch of water and remind me more of a river. There's crazy amount of turns though aren't a problem for something great Alaskan sized. Everyone really likes the Yamaha dealer in Petersburg, Rocky's.

I wouldn't plan on the same route going north and south. There's a ton of explore and see, lots of history, some hot springs, and a lot of fish. Please feel free reach out when you think you'll be in Juneau. Hopefully my Tolman will be in the water this summer.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 11:34:49 PM »
The inside passage is on my bucket list also, I just ordered the book Chuck referenced.  I never knew about that book, thanks for the tip.

https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/

The trip will be a big deal and lots of planning involved.  Just need to finish a boat first.

Lindy and barrelroll, you both seem to have a ton of knowledge and are very generous to extend your offerings and knowledge of the area.  This is a big deal!

I will keep a watch on this post and update my progress as it goes.

ghelland

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »
There is a guide that you can buy for Canadian waters that tell you the the direction and flow of the water for each day.  I know you guys are fast but working with the tide will save you a bunch of cash in fuel.
I don't see us traveling to Alaska until 2023.  I will be looking for buddy boats for that year.

Chuck, I got a water woman for you.  Actually 2.  Call me.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 05:14:17 PM »
There is a guide that you can buy for Canadian waters that tell you the the direction and flow of the water for each day.  I know you guys are fast but working with the tide will save you a bunch of cash in fuel.
I don't see us traveling to Alaska until 2023.  I will be looking for buddy boats for that year.

Chuck, I got a water woman for you.  Actually 2.  Call me.

Reminds me of the joke ... "Wanted: Wife who owns boat.  Send picture of boat."

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »
I've travelled the length of BC's waters several times in the past 15 years, and fished the mid-coast (outside of Bella Bella) close to a dozen times this millennia. 

We normally stay away as much as possible from the so-called "Inside Passage" route. There's more to see, and better scenery on the side roads than on the "highway", and less chance of getting run over by a cruise ship.  But the cruisers I've been on travel in the 8 to 10 knot range.

Things to note:
- The amount of wood in the water sometimes is shocking - it depends on tides, storms, season, etc.. Keep you eyes peeled at all times when moving!
- Research Canadian gun laws if you intend to bring a long gun.  Absolutely forget about hand guns.
- Prepare to be self sufficient - there is basically one spot for services between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert, which is Shearwater.
- But Shearwater has been sold this past year by it's longtime owner/developer to a local buyer, and it's yet to be determined how that business will be impacted.
- Be prepared to be shocked by fuel prices.
- I don't know how covid has/will impact possible interactions with the locals.  They weren't all that friendly before. 

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »
WOW- So many great responses thanks so much. I've been totally swamped lately and was on vacation. I can't wait to go back through and gather so much good info and answer some questions. The generous offers to help out any and all GA builders on the way up is amazing. It's like a family and most of us haven't met!!  I'm sure I will be posting questions and some of mu progress over the winter months.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021