Author Topic: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau  (Read 5984 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2022, 08:49:45 AM »
That pic makes my knees and back hurt, lots of work goes in "under the deck".

I was wondering about the limber holes, I could have made mine bigger looking back.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2022, 08:52:38 AM »
A local welder Paul Simpson made them for me. He has been in the business for 30 years and is a master craftsman. He had lots of good ideas on tank design, including running a pipe on the inside of the tank from the aft end to the fwd end of the tank so we can vent from the front of the tank, and still keep the fittings on the aft end. Tanks are hung from stringers with airflow all around them. Hoping to seal off the fuel tank compartment from the rest of the bilge and put a 3 inch pipe into attached to a bilge blower to provide ventilation. Cabin deck going on for good today.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2022, 08:57:15 AM »
I put 2 inch limber holes everywhere except in the fuel tank compartment. I plan on putting a 15/16 inch hole in the aft fuel tank bulkhead so it can drain if any water gets into it, but I can still plug it with a standard transom drain plug, also put a 4 1/2 inch access and ventilation hole that I can open when the boat is out of the water.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2022, 07:51:10 PM »
Our cabin has a sole! Placed plywood over my water tank and fwd end of fuel tank. Ms Jones filleted and glassed the seams. 1/2 inch meranti plywood seems plenty strong, will coat with epoxy and eventually, per Ms Jones, will place 1/4 inch teak and holly on the floor for that yachty look. Awaiting fuel hose and fuel sensor, then will build motor well and cover rest  of deck next. I think it will be more pleasant building my pilot house once I have the floor covered with a sturdy and flat deck. Thank you all for all the input on the Helm seat. West Marine has a 20% off sale on Springfield seats, so may push the buy button, if I get the ok from Ms Jones.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2022, 11:08:15 PM »
Very nice clean install, good time to get out the roller skates.  Teak and Holly? wow, wow, wow!!!  I cant wait to see it.

Master craftsman at work for sure.  I look forward to all the pics to come.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »

The main deck is one of the most satisfying things that there is to put in your boat!  Humans work best on flat surfaces :)

Teak & Holly!  You guys are building a cadillac!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2022, 08:10:25 PM »
Messed around with fuel tank fittings most of the day. Tapped and attached my fuel sensor, plumbed my fuel supply line and vent hose into the tank. Initially had some issues screwing stainless fittings into the aluminum tank, but finally coated everything with anti-seize and everything worked fine. Will permanently install aft deck tomorrow, then I can start working on the main cabin.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2022, 06:54:58 AM »

Details details ... it takes time :)

Are you planning on launching this summer?  I assume you've got a Fall king run in the Juneau area?
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2022, 08:16:55 AM »
Nope,
Lots of wait time for motors, and I want lots of time to trick out the inside, also have to figure out how to get my 9 ft 4 inch beam boat out of my 9 ft wide door. Hopefully launch next spring.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2022, 11:14:02 AM »

Reminds me of the guy that I saw who built a canoe in his 2nd floor apartment then lowered it to the ground through a window ... too long to make the turns for the stairway :)

I wonder if laying the boat over onto one side, e.g. 14 degree layover, the deadrise angle, would make it fit?  Roll it out on big dowels or something? 

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
Worked on the windshield for most of the day, cut out blanks, made marking jig to mark the fwd end of the roof and figured out window sizes, given the minimal wood left after cutting out windows, decided to make the windshield out of 1/2 inch instead of 1/4 inch with doublers around the window. Plan is to leave the okoume  bright for this section of the boat. Ms Jones was able to lay 9 oz cloth on the deck. Tomorrow will do final fwd window cut out, start to finish them on the bench, tape the deck to side seams and possibly start on the aft cabin bulkhead.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2022, 08:46:56 PM »
I check here every night to see what you have got done, always looks like a pro did it and a lot gets done.  :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2022, 07:09:39 AM »

I've seen folks use a variety of 'wood flour' types in order to get fillets to match the color of the plywood ... when finishing bright.  Maple or birch flour, walnut, or mahogany ...

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2022, 07:52:54 PM »
Thanks Brian,
I think the color of the system 3 wood flower matches good enough, however will have to get the ok from Ms Jones. Hit it hard today, finished cutting out the windshield panels and put glass on the outside of them. Ended up leaving 4 inches of room above my cutout for my wipers- thanks Dan for the urgent consult. Ms Jones filleted and glassed the deck to side panel joint. Also was able to cut out my aft cabin bulkhead. Moved the door off center to make it easier to build a bigger table area. Given my lack of patience for detail work, decided to go with a Diamond Sea Gaze door. Was going to try to glass the bulkhead, but was already into 11 hours in the shop, so called it quits for the day.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2022, 08:10:28 PM »
Looking good Lindy,

You have a secret shop?  More space is better for sure.  So far Chuck has the largest shop I have seen for boat building.