Author Topic: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau  (Read 11292 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »
You should be able to do quite a bit with 40 gallons

ghelland

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2022, 09:30:00 AM »
Your boat looks great.  I traveled with a friend that has a salt water sprayer mounted at the galley sink, it is part of the wash down system.  We saved a lot of fresh water by using it.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2022, 08:06:47 PM »
Started working on my "Prince Rupert Bulwark" Did not have any 3/8 inch plywood, but had some scraps of 1/2 inch left over from my cabin sides, so ran them through the surface planner and made some 3/8 inch plywood that would bend around my sheer deck. It worked great, first time I have run plywood through my planer, love the Byrd spiral cutter head. Made a bunch of blocks tilting out 5 degrees  to hold the bulwark, think I will really like the look and hopefully thew will keep the boat a bit dryer in big seas. Hopefully some finished pictures in

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2022, 05:40:46 AM »

Can't wait to see the bulwark on the boat ... I wish more folks would put one on.  Same with raised coaming around the cockpit ... very classic

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2022, 05:07:22 PM »
Yes lots of photos please! Gonna look awesome, I love that look. I was going to extend my sides up more but decided to forgo the extra work. Sure love the look though
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Dan Boccia

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2022, 08:32:55 PM »
The bulwarks look cool. That said, I think they're impractical. I'm frequently nosing up to a beach and jumping off the front end, and a bulwark there would be cumbersome for hopping on/off under the rail. On the back deck I frequently have shrimp lines etc. being pulled up over the gunnel, for instance after I grab the buoy and pull some slack in then cleat it off before rigging the line through the pot puller. I have UHMW rub rails along the top outer portion of my gunnels, so the lines rub on the rub rails. With the bulwark back there, you'd have to figure out how to reinforce the top with some kind of rub rail, plus then just the simple act of putting a fender and dock line on would be cumbersome without more thought. Finally, I'm always walking all over on the back gunnels and the bulwark would take away valuable foot space. Anyway, here's a vote for smooth, clean gunnels. Great thing is that building these ourselves everyone gets what they want!

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2022, 10:07:01 AM »
I see your point on the rear bulwarks, and will probably not put them on, opting for UHMW on the rear gunnels.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2022, 08:33:25 PM »
Got my seat and was able to get cabinets started on starboard side. Per Brian's plan, left 44 inches for helm seat. Will put House batteries under helm seat. Aft of that, the sink with hot water heater under. Aft of that have a galley cabinet, galley stove and then finally a 24 inch hanging locker.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2022, 10:09:08 PM »
Looking great Lindy, you guys are really ripping (as per usual)! That Alaskan Kolsch is good stuff too! :) Curious what your plans are for your house bank...

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2022, 11:06:49 PM »
Per Dan Bocca's advice I purchased 2 200 AH LI Kilovault batteries. Should give me plenty of power to hang on the hook for a day or two.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2022, 08:24:47 AM »

You have the biggest pilot house yet, and it's going to be very-well accommodated ... a real live-aboard Kodiak!

Oh ... and it's looking awesome too!  First-class work!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2022, 08:40:42 AM »
Per Dan Bocca's advice I purchased 2 200 AH LI Kilovault batteries. Should give me plenty of power to hang on the hook for a day or two.

Awesome, that's what I put in mine too. Capacity for literal days...

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2022, 07:39:10 PM »
No pictures to share, got all cabin bulkheads in and Ms Jones just finished 3rd coat of epoxy on them. Busy sanding and faring. Push to get areas finished to a point where we can begin the plumbing and electrical. Dan Bocca has graciously agreed to come down from Anchorage in November and help me with the wiring. Knowing my skill set and temperament, It will be great to have the expertise and help. I am certain the end product will be much safer. Thanks Dan!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2022, 07:50:08 AM »
No pictures to share, got all cabin bulkheads in and Ms Jones just finished 3rd coat of epoxy on them. Busy sanding and faring. Push to get areas finished to a point where we can begin the plumbing and electrical. Dan Bocca has graciously agreed to come down from Anchorage in November and help me with the wiring. Knowing my skill set and temperament, It will be great to have the expertise and help. I am certain the end product will be much safer. Thanks Dan!

Dan's awesome ... should write a book!

Dan Boccia

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2022, 09:54:22 PM »
Nice progress! Looking forward to being part of the team.
As far as writing a book....Nigel Calder already did! You just hafta read and study it for a couple years to really get a grip on it all. Incredible resource.