Author Topic: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau  (Read 9040 times)

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« Reply #225 on: September 18, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »
Progress,
Bulwarks- scarfed all pieces for bulwarks together , scribed them to the sheer line,cut to 7 inches tall, and cut out holes for hawse pipes. Mounted to sheer deck with 5 degree out-sloping blocks every foot in the front and 2 foot further aft. Made a slit in the block, so I could adjust the bulwark to meet my sheer deck edge. Will tack on the inside, and cover the outside with a 12inch wide layer of 9 oz glass tape, starting  from the top of the bulwark draping down the side of the boat after placing a fillet on the outside.

Question for all- Any recommendations for size and type of deck cleats?? Also where should they be mounted in relation to house pipe holes??

Cabin- All bulkheads are installed and covered with epoxy. Sadly everything except the second layer of the roof and Visor is made and now Ms Jones and I need to do some serious sanding, faring and painting. Given that Ms Jones is head of the Quality Assurance department, I will need to slow down a bit!

Dan Boccia

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2022, 11:53:28 AM »
My deck cleats are 8" open-leg stainless type. I've found they're a lot more convenient with 3/8" dock lines, as the 5/8" I had to start with fill the cleat up really quickly. 1/2" dock lines would work fine too I'm realizing. I placed a standing D-ring about 12" away from the two primary cleats for fenders, which frees up the cleat. I'm happy with this arrangement. You could go to 10" cleats and larger dock lines, but you start taking up more precious foot space on the gunnel....

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2022, 12:25:13 PM »
What Dan said. I used 6 cleats and they will be adequate but I should have gone bigger.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2022, 12:56:59 PM »
My 2c  FWIW

I think I used 10"

You can use undersize rope for a cleat just have to put an extra wrap.

Cleat size has a relationship to rope size.

from Boatus:

"Generally, manufacturers recommend just slightly under one inch of cleat for every 1/16-inch of line diameter , which means you need a six-inch cleat for 3/8-inch line, an eight-inch cleat for 1/2-inch line, and a 10-inch cleat for 5/8-inch line. Using larger cleats for larger lines adds both weight and expense, but what would be the point of using 3/8-inch nylon line, with a breaking strength of cleat you attach it to can't withstand the same or greater load?"

https://boatus.org/findings/16/

Great video on cleat hitch size:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBqsF72xNSU

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:07:02 AM by Rbob »

Dan Boccia

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2022, 01:21:29 PM »
Nice reference for cleat/line size. Just measured to verify mine are 8" and they are, and they're fine on my 28 ft GA......might be a hair small for the 30 ft Kodiak. I would recommend 10" cleats and 1/2" or 5/8" dock line, and be sure to keep the area around the cleat free of nonskid. Put one cleat right at the front seat so you can set fenders and lines from inside the cabin - I do this frequently. For the one aft, think about where your shrimp and crab lines will be running when you're setting them out - my cleat is all the way aft, and interferes with the line running out. If I had it more forward, it would avoid snagging coils of the line occasionally.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2022, 07:09:42 PM »
Progress'
Inside- Ms Jones did final fairing and covered all with one final coat of epoxy, soon most will be grey with primer. I attempted to put drain in the floor of the shower, but was having a hard time getting my pilot for my holes to get through the floor, not realizing that I was drilling a 1/4 inch hole in my fuel tank, OOPS!. Was able to tap it out to 5/16 and screwed in a bolt with a bunch of thread sealant on it- fingers crossed it doesn't leak. Moved a bit further to the gunnels and got the drain in. Clearly one of my most stupid moves on the build so far.

Outside- Faired the joint between the bulwark and sheer deck and covered it with a 12 inch wide piece of 9 oz tape while it was still wet. This worked great and Bulwark is rock solid, still have to fillet and tape  the inside of the bulwark to sheer deck seem

Shop-Spent 4 hours mucking out the shop. Some people have a very clean shop, and do not get much done, others have a shop so dirty, its hard to do anything. I strive for the happy middle ground but usually end up with a very messy shop. Shared a picture of my scrap pile outside my shop- mostly old patterns and small pieces of plywood.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2022, 12:37:35 PM »
She's really coming along, looking awesome!!! love the scrap pile, looks like very little waist so far.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2022, 08:41:38 PM »
Yep,
Not much waste, besides the kit Chuck provided, I used 26 sheets of 1/2 inch ply, 16 sheets 1/4 inch ply and 1 sheets 3/4 inch ply. Will need to buy a few more sheets of 1/4 inch ply for cabinet drawer bottoms.